Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Cleaning Slide Toppers

I need advice from you more experienced folks on the best way to keep your slide toppers clean as well as the best way to clean them. I can already see that these guys are going to need somewhat more care than the awning. What is the secret to keep the way from puddling on them while camping? They do not seem to be as tightly stretched when fully extended and of course they hold water which does lead to black spots when it dries. I think I read something about tennis balls as support a while back. Any suggestions??

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Native Tex, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good ideas on this. I've only cleaned ours two or three times in over two years. I use Dawn dishwashing liquid, same thing I use on the roof. I also use a long handled brush with the Dawn/water in a bucket and scrub them, slides open, then rinse them with a hose. That's about it.

As for support, I've thought about doing that but never really worried about it too much. When they get water on them and sag, it just pulls more material out of the roller. But it would probably be a good idea to provide some way for the water to run off anyhow. I've heard of using partially inflated beach balls for that. Also, RC and Samantha showed me at the rally where they'd taken two pieces of four-inch foam, covered them, and stuffed that between slide and topper. I'm sure others will come along with some good ideas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Native Tex -

Our dealer said that some people put a partially inflated beach ball up between the awning and slide to keep the water from pooling. We have the 3400RL and the only slide we have pooling on is the long dining/living room slide. Haven't personally tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
sreigle thanks for the words of wisdom. I was fearful that the weight of water puddling on the toppers would cause them to stretch or tear. I never thought about them unspooling more awning material. I will trying the partially inflacted beach balls as suggested by rames14 as well. At least if the pudding and left behind mess is kept moving, this will help keep the toppers clean.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Native Tex, our 3295RK has a really long living room slide. Lots of water on the topper on that long slide will also pull some on the sides of the topper since the puddling will be in the middle. So far it's not been a problem although I do think that topper has stretched a little bit. The shorter ones on the other slides have not. Since yours has 4 slides I don't remember if any of them is as big as our LR slide. Even with the big one it is doing fine and I'm not going to worry about it. But we don't get three feet of snow at a time, either. We had 8 inches a couple of weeks ago and the topper survived just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Jeilering
Established Member

M.O.C. #509
I clean the slide awning tops everytime I wash the roof, once a month or so. I use Blue Coral wash and wax from Wallyworld. After a heavy rain I like to either spill off the rain water from awnings either manually using a ladder outside and holding the material up till it draind or if I'm feeling lazy I just run the slides in to dump the water..
Jeilering is offline   Reply With Quote