Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Brake Problems Strike Three

Well, I am sorry to say that Alpine RV in Morgan Hill CA once again kicked my rig back to me saying that 'They can't duplicate the problem'. I give up on them. They fixed the shower leak, but I looked at the work they did and it looks pretty shoddy. I expect it to leak again soon. They didn't even re-install the shower pan correctly.

In addition:

My license plate came this week. When I went to put it on I discovered three things.
1. Alpine had lost the original machine screw and replaced it with a sheet metal screw.
2. They punched a hole in my gelcoat with the sheet metal screw because it was 1/2 inch longer than necessary.
3. They used a power driver and broke the plastic bracket that holds the retaining nuts.

Is there a reasonable Montana dealer in Santa Clara county? Does Keystone know, or care, how crappy this place has become?

Unhappy camper.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:22 AM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Does Keystone know or care about dealer problems??

My personal experience is an unqualified "YES". When we had roof problems such that the roof needed to be replaced under warranty, the initial response from my dealer was that they could not do it for several weeks because they were so busy. A call to customer service at Keystone where I quoted a part of Montana's and Keystone's mission statement and also reminded them that I didn't purchase a 40,000 unit just to have it sit in my driveway or the dealer's shed resulted in a call back from the dealer within THREE MINUTES of my call to Keystone. The dealer told me that Keystone ordered them to get my unit in and get it fixed by the end of the week (the call was Monday) The roof job is listed as a 32 hour flat rate job, and the dealer did live up to what Keystone ordered them to do.

Maybe this dealer responded so well to Keystone because they are a relatively small dealer, but at the least I know that Keystone did put the pressure on.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
What a pleasant surprise. I got an eamil back from Montana before I even got to my desk this morning. I get to my desk at 6AM!

But I can't realistically expect Montana to actually do anything. The problem is not in the RVs wiring or the brakes. It's something that Alpine did wrong in the wiring they did to my truck, or maybe they got a bad part?

What I simply can't understand is Alpines 'we can't make it fail' rationale. It's like they think we're only imagining not having any brakes! If it was my business I would have ripped out the wiring and made it right the first time, regardless of anyones ability to make it fail on demand. I'm sure they've wasted more time trying to make it fail than it would have taken to fix in the first place.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Here's the lates scoop. I sent an email to customer service at Montana and received a reply very quickly. That was nice.

Today was even nicer. Alpine RV called me and asked me to schedule a time to bring the truck & fiver in sometime we=hen we can go for an extended drive. We had a long discussion about the nature of intermittant problems and it sounds like they are going to redo the wiring.

SO, it's obvious that someone from Montana called Alpine and explained 'things' to them.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Muddypaws, can you go with them to make sure they see it actually happen?

You know, it's a scary thought taking a test drive while expecting brakes to fail. I shudder at the thought of what could happen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote