Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Water tank wont fill,any suggestions?

By actual timing,one 2 gal. bucket takes 2 minutes, I can only get 12 gal of water into my tank befor the vent starts spurting and the water comes jetting out the fill hole. I'm wondering if the tank could be colapsed? does anyone else have this problem? Dave

Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Dave are you sure the fresh water tank was completely empty when you started to fill it. If you are going by the tank levels on the monitor panel they may be off, and another possibility is the air has to come out of the tank as water goes in make sure you don't have a line that has a bend in it. Just a thought,Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Dave, That "water jetting back out" is standard procedure for me. I don't think it should be but it is. Seems the vent does not properly allow the air to escape. Since I do this at home before leaving on trips, I just let it 'gush' then start filling again. My practice is to fill the tank only to the first 1/3 light on the gage, as I do not like to carry the weight of full tanks. Others may not have this experience, but I thought you might like to know of someone who does. I just consider it a minor irritation--no more.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I've havn't had a problem filling ours. Like the above poist you may have a crimp in the line.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We had the same problem. Your solution will probably be the same as ours was. If you can trace the "vent tube" back, you will probably find that there is a kink in it at some place. All I had to do was cut off disconnect the vent tube, straighten the kink, cut off a bit of the length of the tube, then reconnect it. It seems that the "kit" that is given to the line workers putting in the tank and vent are given a length of flexible hose that is actually longer than needed, and instead of cutting it off at the proper length, the hose is just shoved in, often resulting in the kink. Oh... ...I also made a hole that the hose goes through a bit larger so there was not such a tight radius that the hose had to make.

P.S. After the fix, I can run the water into the tank at any pressure and not have any spurt-back.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I use one of those hose end filters - it has a small diameter plastic tube to insert in the filler, so more air can be vented out than water going in. It takes a while, but I just go off and do something else and let her run a while.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We can fill ours with spigot on full blast and have no kickback. I agree there's likely a kink or blockage in the vent line. Takes maybe ten minutes to fill a completely empty tank.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hi Dave! Have no idea how to help you with the freshwater tank problem. Just wanted to say HI! to you and Kelly.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hi, Dave. We had the same problem on our 2955. Bob discovered that the vent hose was crimped at the connection. The hose was too flimsy and bent at too hard an angle. Bob replaced it with a heavier reinforced hose and we've had no problem since. You do have to take the belly off to correct this. Hope this helps.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote