Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
Big Sky Options

My wife and I just purchased a very lightly used 2003 Big Sky 3575RL. My research on 5th wheels has been on other brands so my knowledge of Montanas has been a crash course.

I contacted Keystone and through the communication of voice mail I was able to get the original build sheet. It follows:

3575RL Big Sky 5th Wheel Rear Lounge
Big Sky package
Value package
RIVA
Fantastic fan in Living Room
2nd Recliner/Glider
Winterization
Wire & frame 2nd A/C
Generator prep
Sofa Table

Not much as far as options go but I have not been able to find anything on the web or from the local Montana dealer (I did not buy it from them) that lists what options are available on a Big Sky.

The Keystone web site does list the Montana, what is standard and what is optional. For the Big Sky it lists "Loaded with Premium Upgrade Features" and defines those items in various catagories. None of which answer my questions. Going by their web site one would tend to believe that the Big Sky is fully equiped and there are no additional options available.

What I'm looking for are the technical spections. I'm comparing the 2003 to what is listed for 2004 but most of the information should be the same between the two years.

1. Does it have a 6 or a 10 gallon hot water heater? 6 is standard 10 gallon is optional on Montana.

2. Does it have a 13,500 or a 15,000 BTU A/C? Both are optional on Montana

3. Does it have a 8 or a 10 cubic feet refer? 8 is standard 10 is optional on Montana

4. Does it have 6K or 7K axles. It does have the 8 lug heavy duty wheels? I believe the Montana only has 6 lug.

If I look at the optional features listed in the 2004 Montana brochure, there are different catagories:

Moving to Montana Package
Value Package
Exterior Options
Interior Options
Equipment Options

I have all the options listed in the Value Package. This was also listed on the invoice on noted at the begining of these comments.

I also have several of the option from each of the other packages.

So, the question still remains, what options are available on a Montana Big Sky?

Montana_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Notsdale to the MOC and congratulations on your Montana Big Sky, I cannot help you with your questions but someone will be along soon with the answers that you are looking for. Happy RVing
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome Notsdale. Glad to have you aboard. Keep us posted, congratulations on your BigSky. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Notsdale. You made an excellent choice buying a Montana. Montana has been the biggest selling FW/TT in North America for three years in a row. That might make you feel a bit more comfortable. No trailer is without problems and that's true about Montana, too. But we've found Keystone to stand behind the product. We're having our first annual rally in Indiana, to include a factory tour, in late September. On the webpage with the list of topics, look near the top for Rally Information or something like that.

Did you check the Big Sky website? The url is http://www.keystone-bigsky.com/ . Click on the Customer Service link to download an owners manual, weight charts, etc. Also the other links should have some info for you.

Hope you enjoy the Montana. I'm convinced it's the best bang for the buck. Enough so we're on our second Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
Well, here's what I know so far. After going through the paperwork that was included with the Monty:

1. Fridge - Big Sky appears to come standard with 8 cu ft, same as regular Montana. I'm assuming the original fridge shipped with the Monty was a Dometic Americana RM 2852. Original buyers appear to have changed the fridge to a Dometic New Dimensions NDR 1062. This is a 9.2 cu ft refer. I have the paperwork on both models but the NDR 1062 is whats installed.

2. Hot Water Heater - Big Sky appears to come standard with the 10 gallon. Owners manual shows Suburban SW10 series. Probably have the SW10DE installed which is the gas/electric DSI. I haven't verified the model yet as the Monty is not at the house.

3. Air Conditioner - Big Sky appears to come standard with 15,000 BTU. It's really hard to say for certain on this. On the Montana the A/C is optional but is included in the "Moving to Montana Package." On the Big Sky brochure there is no mention of an A/C but one would automatically assume it has one. Especially since the original shipping document did not show an A/C under installed options; only the 2nd A/C prep. I checked the A/C and it's a Duo-Therm 15,000 BTU. This must be the 15,000 A/C w/quick cool thats listed under equipment options on the Montana. The only info I have is the owner's registration card and it lists it as model number 620426.321. I'll check with Duo-Therm to see exactly what I have. Using their web site, it looks like it might be the Penguin series.

Once I finally get the Monty home I'll be able to go through it and check everything more closely. Still waiting for hitch to be installed. Hopefully Tuesday unless it gets set back again.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Notsdale,

I am guessing from your posts that the original owner cannot provide you with this information?? Or, is there any indication on the unit who the original selling dealer was (our dealer put his "sticker" on the rear of unit). If there is a dealer sticker, you could try contacting him and ask him to help you with the items ordered on the unit. Maybe he still has the original order??

Enjoy your Big Sky, they sure are "purdy" units!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have a 2004 3295RK big sky. Here is what I remember.
*Larger Fridge
*Configured (Wired) for W/D
*50 amp service plug - wired for optional second A/C
*Higher cieling in living area
*Upgraded counter tops
*Upgraded lighting fixtures and grill grates
*600 pounds of extra Gell Coat
*Heavy duty Axels and Wheels (Main reason I was attracted to the Big Sky in the first place)
*Fancy graphics package (we optioned out of this one)
There may be other stuff but this is what I remember off hand.
Also, some people take parts of the package and not others so the possibilities are more or less endless.

Good luck and happy montana-ing
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Notsdale,
If you have the Penquin (low profile) a/c be aware many had problems with water leaks.Keystone is aware of this problem, some units had a kit installed to prevent leaking and some units were replaced.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #9
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I see no one has mentioned upgraded faucets in the kitchen and bath room sinks, upgraded cabinet hardware.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #10
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
I've pretty much figured out all the answers to my questions. Thanks to everyone that posted.

The Monty does have 6000 pound axles but has 12X2 brakes due to the 8 lug wheels. The frige was upgraded from the 8 cu ft to the 10 cu ft as I posted earlier. It does have the Penguin 15,000 A/C so I'll have to monitor it for leaks.

This Monty does have the problem with the wheel alignment that is so often mentioned in this forum so I'll have to have it aligned. Appears to only be the rear axle. Checked on price here in Colorado Springs, CO and it's $55 per axle. I ordered the TrailAir Kingpin and TrailAir Centerlink suspension today do I'll get it aligned after I upgrade the suspension.

For what it's worth the shocks on the Monty's don't do a whole lot. The angle on the shocks is such that there's not a lot of dampening going on. I noticed this when I first looked at the Monty and this was something that Tim at TrailAir also brought up. Additionally, according to Tim, the bottom of both shocks should be attached to the inside of each axle, not the outside. I'll also modify this when I upgrade the suspension.