Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
Landing gear switch

I wanted to relocate the switch from inside the basement to the front so bought a smaller toggle instead of the large paddle switch. The guy at NAPA said the switch would work even though it had 5 prongs instead of the stock 4. He even took my old one and removed the wires, put them on the new one but it doesnt work. The big problem now is that since he pulled the wires off my switch, I dont know which wire goes to which prong. There are 4. 1 pink hot from the fuse. 1 black from the ground. 1 red from motor and 1 black from the motor. If anyone has a chance to look at their switch connection, I would be very appreciative.
Thanks Much,
Larry

Larry & Karen
01 F350 SD PSD CC SRW LB Lariat 4X4
03 3575RL
Datastorm
Tempurpedic Adjustable Bed
Fulltiming date 5/1/04

Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Larry, you might make sure your cover keeps water and dirt out of the switch. One of the problems with unprotected switches located on the front side is they get dirt and water in them and have been known to lower the landing gear while on the road. Not a good thing to happen.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Larry You can put your switch on the outside if you want without havine to put a locking device in it, just rember to disconect the battery when you put it into storage or have a disconect switch installed, the only BAD side of putting your switch on the outside is the weather and road dirt and anything else that WILL cause it to get gobbered up, so put a weatherproof type switch on and problems solved.

TT2
Old 06-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
Thanks guys.
Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Just another take on the subject, my 03 Cougar (also a Keystone) had the switch where you are describing putting yours, it worked flawlessly for the year i owned it, might just get one for that model since it was most likely designed for that purpose.
The security thing is good having the switch in the compartment, but I do grumble everytime i have to go and retrive the keys and open it up to get to the switch. both installations have their positives. Good luck
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Kenny, if I was around your area I'd cut you an extra set to put on your key ring, OR you could ask your neighbor camper if you could borrow his key to get in, Jut Joking Kenny.
I have made a set of keys strictly for CAMPING it has my house key, truck and the keys just for the trailer that way I can leave my regular set at home for the burglers so they dont destroy my house, when they have a key, the safe they'er going to have to do a lot of work for that. and I have 4 of them.
But back to the subject.... You could put in a key switch for up and down too with a weather cap.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Don & Georgia , Thanks! I need all the help I can get. *L* I have two sets of keys, truck and home and then another just for the camper, my problem is i hate carrying things in my pockets all the time, im usually in shorts and flops and when i unhook, truck stays running, I can usually drop the monster in about 2 minutes flat , like most i do have a procedure i use, I can normally back in, drop the unit and be set up in 15 minutes, that includes all hoses awnings elect etc.....silly ole switch hidden in the compartment gets me everytime. I throw out the chocks, drop the legs, pull the 5th wheel lock and cords and go to hit the switch to drop the legs, reach for the switch (like it was on the Cougar) Rats! , grumble to the truck, get the keys, open the compartment...Like posted on other topics, Old dogs and new tricks....tough one :-)
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like others mentioned, I also have two key rings. One is for the camper plus has the spare truck key in case I lock myself out. The other has everything else. Thus no problem opening the locker with the truck running.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:18 AM   #9
Montana_464
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #464
The switch is used to raise and lower the legs so the wires coming from the motor must be one for up and one for down. The hot wire would have to connect to either side for power. You can put the switch anywhere you want on the outside but if you don't get the wiring diagram it won't work. I don't have my trailer home to look at it for you (sorry) but if you don't get an answer on the wiring scheme before the July 4th weekend I will take mine apart then and tell you.
Montana_464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

I wanted to relocate the switch from inside the basement to the front so bought a smaller toggle instead of the large paddle switch. The guy at NAPA said the switch would work even though it had 5 prongs instead of the stock 4. He even took my old one and removed the wires, put them on the new one but it doesnt work. The big problem now is that since he pulled the wires off my switch, I dont know which wire goes to which prong. There are 4. 1 pink hot from the fuse. 1 black from the ground. 1 red from motor and 1 black from the motor. If anyone has a chance to look at their switch connection, I would be very appreciative.
Thanks Much,
Larry

Larry & Karen
01 F350 SD PSD CC SRW LB Lariat 4X4
03 3575RL
Datastorm
Tempurpedic Adjustable Bed
Fulltiming date 5/1/04
================================================== =================
Larry, Assuming your trailer is like mine which is a 2955RL.......
with the RET indicator of the switch UP and the EXT indicator on bottom,put the PINK wire on the lower left, put the ORANGE wire on the upper left, put the BLACK GROUND on the lower right and the BLACK MOTOR wire on the upper right.
As a suggestion one might check the in line fuse. Good Luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #11
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Larry,I have a 3295 and I simply moved my switch back into my tank compartment.It ment enlargeing the hole somewhat but to me it was well worth it.
Before anyone gets hyper about it being in that compartment on my Fifth Aveneu ,also from Keyston, it was in the exact place,put there by the Factory.
This way it is dry and still hiden.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote