Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
3400 RL-Shower Leaks-What's Up With That??

My husband and I took the camper down to Kentucky on Saturday to get all set up for our next horse show. After I took a shower Saturday night all this water was leaking in the basement. My husband was convinced it was the plumbing but the water was coming in threw the flooring into the basement. After it stopped dripping I turned the shower on and showed him for myself, and the water is coming thru the floor because there is NO CAULK whatsoever where the shower wall and the shower floor meet.

How does stuff like this get overlooked? I'm sure other models have experienced the same thing.

I hope someone from the factory reads these things as these simple little things could be avoided and make the consumer much happier. Good thing I'm good at caulking.

I know that this should be posted over in the What If a Keystone Rep were reading, but over in that section doesn't get alot of activity.

Wanted everyone to see this so that when they pick up their new unit they can check for caulk before it leaves the dealership.

Sue
Rochester MI
03 GMC 2500HD D/A LB
2004 3400RL
http://community.webshots.com/user/f...rrealfortunate

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
jimnkaran
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #43
Montana Sue, did you get your unit fixed. Ours is leaking exactly as you said yours is. I have checked it out very closely and the water is running out where the wall comes down and meets the base. It then runs under the shower base and most of it leaks into the basement area along the outer wall just above the curbside basement door. Some of it also leaks out just in front of the shower next to the closet in the bedroom. This is very frustrating, had to take everything out of the basement and dry it out. I know that you are not supposed to put caulk where the side walls meet the base but did it anyway and it did stop the leak. Poor quality control. Not sure what it will take to fix it when we get back to a dealer, but for now it is fixed.
jimnkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Montana_1636

M.O.C. #1636
Look real close at the corner of the shower next to the drain. Ours is hairline cracked and I suspect it is due to the drain location or the tightening of the drain to pipe connection. Any how you may have a crack like we do. I caulked ours and will keep a close eye on it to see if it gets worse.
Montana_1636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have not had any problems with my shower leaking, but it does seem to drain very slow. Has anyone else had this problem? When using the shower, seems to always be a small pool of water around my feet. Once the shower is over seems to take a min or two to totally drain out. Any ideas?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:02 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

Thanks everyone for your comments on the shower. Just another thing that we will be adding to our walk through list when we take delivery of our new Monty on May 13th. Our walk through list keeps getting longer. Don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Ron and Vic "Newbee"
04 Montana 2980RL
04 F350/6.0LPSD/SC/LB/DRW
Racine, Wisconsin
Vickster, you might want them to take off the underbelly and check ALL the connections. We had a big leak (that we caught just in time) and they found 56, yes 56, loose connections inside the underbelly. Someone wasn't doing their job. We had a water pressure regulator on and no water running in the trailer. It was 5:30 in the morning. Fortunately my hubby recognized it when it blew and turned the water off immediately so we had minimal damage but what if we were gone.... I hate to think about it.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Montana Sky, unless You are PERFECTLY level then the water will tend to pool in one area or another. As long as there aren't any leake then don't worry about it.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
JRGWDENNER: Thanks for your information on the 56 loose water connections and having the dealer look in the underbelly. Unfortunately, by the time I received your message, we have had our unit home in our yard now for about ten days. I have seen your previous thread on this issue under a different topic. Hubby has been keeping an eye on this. We have been living in our new Monty to become familiar with and test all systems. So far, the only leaks we have are in the dinette and bedroom slides after a heavy rain. Dealer has been notified and will be taking Monty in for a checkup.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does the 3400 have water pipes running through the basement like the 3295? Ours has some joints there that would be potential leakers. It would only take an occasional drip to dampen the carpet, like when a full load of water is flowing through the pipes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote