Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Removing the battery on shore power?

I am convinced I have a bad battery. I have to add water at least every six days. This happened in my prievious unit as well. Some of you know how that turned out.

Can I disconnect it while hooked to shore power (AC) and take it in for replacement.

Should I pull the fuse or throw the breaker on the converter? What will happen if I do that as far as being connected to shore power? There is something else labeled with the converter breaker that says, "Rec". Anyone know what that is?

I'm going to be pulling out in two weeks and if I make the battery switch now, I can take it to my previous mechanic and he will make the transaction (switch) for me. It will take a few days.

I really don't want to deal with this after I move as I will not have helpful people that I know. I also know that I will be needing battey power bringing the bedroom slide in and out until Keystone steps up to the plate again. (See previous post)

Any comments?

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I would trip the braker on the AC/DC inverter and then disconect the battery that way it won't short out the inverter by accident, if the positive lead touched ground.

Don & Georgia
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel
Banks Sys,Prodigy,
Pullin 2004 / 2980-RL
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Hear is what the RV service says.

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...32&whichpage=2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fla native

I am convinced I have a bad battery. I have to add water at least every six days. This happened in my prievious unit as well. Some of you know how that turned out.

Can I disconnect it while hooked to shore power (AC) and take it in for replacement.

Should I pull the fuse or throw the breaker on the converter? What will happen if I do that as far as being connected to shore power? There is something else labeled with the converter breaker that says, "Rec". Anyone know what that is?

I'm going to be pulling out in two weeks and if I make the battery switch now, I can take it to my previous mechanic and he will make the transaction (switch) for me. It will take a few days.

I really don't want to deal with this after I move as I will not have helpful people that I know. I also know that I will be needing battey power bringing the bedroom slide in and out until Keystone steps up to the plate again. (See previous post)

Any comments?

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Yes, by all means turn your converter off. Remove the ground lead from the battery first, then the positive.

If you want to turn the converter back on (Parallax says its OK)first insulate the positive battery lead. Wrap it up in a plastic bag and tape it so there is no possible way it can touch the frame. Use multiple layers of plastic so that a sharp point or wire can't penetrate the wrap. Turn the converter back off again before you install the new battery.

Battery in place, the converter should be maintaing 13.8 volts. I presume you have checked to see that this is the case???
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
thanks for the replies. I have someone stopping by with a tester today.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote