Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
pullrite hitch

I'm seeing some wear / rub marks on my hitch. these marks are on the part of the hitch that makes the head pivot and slide back. This piece appears to be rubbing on the under side of the way bars. Anybody else see this type of wear / rubbing?
Please view my link in my signature. Then look for Pullrite hitch at the top

Thanks, kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
could it be too much hitch weight ? or a lack of lubrication? just a thought..
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
I have a 16 K pullrite, which I have pulled my 33 FW foot for over 16,000 miles, with my short bed Dodge. When I had it installed the dealer used grease for the rods, which I continued to use also. I since ran into a friend who recently had one installed and his dealer, said Pullrite, only suggest using Slip Plate on the rails and to lube the rails every day you tow. I two was noticing the wear, I consulted my Owerns Manuel and checked Pull Rite's web site. I have since gone to following Pull Rite's service alert, and I don't notice as much scuffing on the rails. Hope this helps. http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Importa...SuperGlide.pdf
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
I have a 18K super glide and use Slip Plate also..You may want to disassemble the hitch, clean everything real well with brake cleaner let dry and spray a couple of coats of slip plate letting dry a few hours between coats. Then you only need to respray the visible areas every couple of trips. Seems to work well with me...

billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I looked at mine and than yours. I am not seeing any wear like yours. But I did notice I appear to be using much more slip plate than you are. Maybe that is a factor?

Also make sure yours is adjusted up correctly.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the waytubes, Pullrite says you only need to lube the tops and the insides, not the outsides or bottom. However, the piece that rides on the waytubes is also supposed to be lubed. You might pull that part that rides on the tubes and make sure it is lubed. Nothing was said about additional lubing of that part, just an initial lube.

Can you feel any ridges in the way tubes where those marks are? It's hard to tell from a picture. If not, then there is probably not a problem other than needing to spray some more slip plate on it. I notice mine gets shiny in places but usually that's along the edges. It's still lubricated, you can feel it with a finger, but I spray those shiny places with more slip plate so it doesn't wear down to metal and score the tubes.

If none of this thread helps, you might email pullrite with your pictures and get their opinion. When we first got our superglide I emailed them with pictures of a problem (finish peeling off the saddle) and they responded within a day or so.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Look between the way tubes at the piece under the tubes. This is the piece that has the roller mounted to it. This is the piece that turns allowing the head to pivot and slid back on the way tubes. It appears this piece is coming up and rubbing on the bottom of the way tubes. My tubes are slip plated on every trip on all four sides. The under side of the head that rides on the tubes is also coated. I don't think I have a problem in that area. It just seems odd to me that the piece under the tubes is hitting the under side of the tubes.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Somehow I neglected to notice the wear you are talking about. I was focused on the way tubes. I agree with Swanny, that seems unusual. I'd suggest emailing Pullrite with the pictures.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Just sent Pullrite pics a few hours ago, I'll let you all know what they think. Also I have a rep that live just a few mils from me (on vac) I'll see him next week.

Thank you all for checking out my question

Swanny
Old 08-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I have a 24k pullrite that I have been using nothing but grease and regreasing each trip. It is messy. I have noticed no wear on the tubes and the roller doesn't appear to be contacting anything. I believe I will start using slip if for no other reason than the mess. Great hitch and a good company to work with. I will look forward to see what swanny finds out from pulrite.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I did send pics to pullrite. They emailed me and said that's nothing to be concerned about. normal wear. I also got the proper name for the area of the hitch I'm talking about. It's called the "cam arm assembly". An area of that arm rides very close below the way tubes and will sometimes hit / rub. The rep that lives near me will see it next week. I'll keep you all posted.

Swanny
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
I have a pull rite that gets those marks in the same spot after use. I spray the lube they recommend and all is good to go. Just make sure you spray it every time you use the hitch.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
swanny ,, why don't you come to the rally at goshen and then take the unit over to pull-rite as i did last year and they rebuilt mine ,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Today I took my hitch to the PullRite rep. He said the wear on the cam arm is nothing to worry about. He checked it out top to bottom. He did note on the one way tube an area needs to be cleaned and slip plate reapplied. I also need to clean and add slip plate to the top of the cam arm. He said everything else is just fine. I would also like to say PullRite was a pleasure to do business with. The two reps i spoke with were awesome. Thank you Scott and Linda.