Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Diesel Fuel prices

$1.99/gallon at Chevron station in Quartzite and Apache Junction, AZ.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! Dean that is great to hear! Can hardly wait. Thanks for info.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
1.989 to 2.249 various spots in Albuquerque NM. Manhattan KS is 2.349 and 2.549 at various spots per email I got from neighbor who is picking up our mail. No rythm or reason to why so high there other than that they can get it I guess.

Filled at the 1.989 price just a few hours ago as we prepare to go back to KS tomorrow.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Correction:

$1.99/gallon at Chevron stations in Quartzite and Mesa AZ.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Just paid 1.499 for diesel today in Oregon with my Safeway discount. Boy did that feel good!
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Wow, under $1.50 that is almost cheap! :-) To think it was over $5.00 for awhile in the Seattle area. I checked a local web site here in AZ. The lowest I can find anywhere n the Phoenix area is $1.85. See:
http://www.phoenixgasprices.com/GasP...uel=D&qsrch=AZ
Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
It went from $1.99 a gallon to $2.05 in OKC today. I think the prices are moving back up early this year. ARGH!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
It is really hard to predict what is going to happen relative to fuel prices. My view is we haven't seen the bottom yet of our bad economic situation and if diesel uel got this low right in the middle of bad weather conditions eating up fuel oil for heating, it could go quite a bit lower. I just(today) read a report that available supplies are higher than expected. My guess is that if we lined up all the experts for a diesel price prediction they would form a circle. IMHO, those that voted for new people in Government and are now expecting a quick turnaround are in for a bruising shock. Living in Fantasyland. This one is nasty. We have decades of sins to pay for. The free lunch is over folks.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fuel prices are up because oil prices have been going up over the last couple of weeks due to speculation and world events. Nothing has changed, The consumer still has no job, no money and no confidence in the economy. The price will fall again as evidenced by yesterdays oil market. The new administration is saying all the right things to address the situation..but..it will take a long time for any improvement.
Crude took a big negative hit yesterday and in down this morning on the foreign markets.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our country is talking a good story. But they better listen to T Boone Pickens is saying, we aren't doing anything to bring more Oil out of the Ground. Don't care what anyone says but America runs on OIL. Haven't found Diesel under $2.00 a gallon in Florida, might be the Tax thing don't know. But I'm looking into another in bed fuel tank. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Diesel went up 10 cents a gallon here in Manhattan KS this past Monday, reg unleaded went up 24 cents (1.559 to 1.799) at the same time.

In any case, Delaine & Lindy's comment above reminded me that late last month a committee our governor established to look at funding highway improvements over the next 10 or so years brought up the point of taxing by mileage driven. Governor had said, in appointing them, to look at alternatives other than raising fuel taxes. As we move to hybrids and such, purchases of gas / diesel should decrease leading to a decrease in fuel taxes which are used for maintenance and replacement of highways. In any case, last nights paper had a full page article about how Oregon has been testing this -- had installed GPS devices in 300 cars (as I recall) and, in one example, when the person fueled up, the system read the GPS and then added road-use tax based on miles driven. Had software that knew if car was out-of-state for some of those miles, etc., but the bottom line is that the customer paid the tax at the fuel point just as if the gasoline was taxed to begin with. (Paper did not say whether the mileage tax was in addition to fuel tax on the gas, or instead of the fuel tax -- just that it was added to the fuel bill and paid at that time....)

In another test example they cited where the customer had to provide mileage at vehicle registration time and road-tax was computed then -- lot of problems and ill-will so that test was concluded unfavorably.

The bottom line to my little book here is that states are starting to look at other ways to get their 'tax-money' for road maintenance. I believe Kansas has one of the highest taxes on diesel and I don't see them letting that 'honor' go to anyone else . Taxes currently add a big chunk to the price we pay for fuel and I don't see any state having a different revenue source to maintain their roads. Just have to wonder what method they will finally come up with.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Reduce our dependency on oil. Explore alternative sources of energy. Wind, Solar, Nuclear, Gas, Coal, That's right coal. Improve our rail system. Our problem is our huge Demand for oil as lond as that continues and we do nothing about decreasing that demand. The problem remains. We also have plenty of energy resources such as oil, gas, coal right here in North America. There can be a balance between the environment and our need for energy.We are not even trying. Oil is down at 41.26 now..It was pushing 50.00 two days ago. There is a shortage of oil tankers worldwide as they are being rented to store oil purchased at these low prices speculating that the prices will increase in the near future. If they do not, and soon, oil will be even cheaper. Interesting....very interesting..

"Jan. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Frontline Ltd., the world’s biggest owner of supertankers, said oil traders want to charter as many as 10 vessels to stockpile crude to take advantage of higher prices later in the year.

About 25 supertankers were already hired for storage and there are enquiries for 5 to 10 more, Jens Martin Jensen, Singapore-based interim chief executive officer of the company’s management unit, said by phone today.

The traders would buy crude now and sell it for delivery later, profiting from a futures market situation called contango where prices are higher as the year progresses. The vessels could handle as much as 20 million barrels, or about what is produced by OPEC member Algeria in 15 days. They would add to as much as 50 million barrels already hoarded at sea, for a combined amount equal to almost five days of European Union demand.

“I’ve never before seen storage demand on this scale,” said Didier Labat, a Paris-based shipbroker at Barry Rogliano Salles who has worked in tanker markets for about 20 years. "

Shazam..Oil is now at 33.00 bbl...What are those Evil OPEC guys up to.
Since they control the world oil price why are they forcing it so low.What are their evil intentions?? am so confused....
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rich: Thinking your last comment above was in jest, I do find it interesting that the world-wide demand continues to plummet even as OPEC tries to raise the price per barrell by reducing production. They are educated people and know that demand must increase at some point. Raising the price per barrel, given the world economic situation, should just lead to further decline in demand.

Well, now we get the speculators back in the picture again, (I amazed that any are left -- they should have lost their shorts, shirts, and socks off the last debacle they created!!!! ) This can not be good for the consumer in the long run!!

Oh well, since when do they care about humanity over their personal growth in wealth??
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I was as usual being sarcastic. Some folks understand that there is much more to the price of a bbl of oil than OPEC. They have tried everything and the price keeps dropping.Correct, raising the price will lead to less demand.They are trying to talk the price up with threats and that is not working.It will take folks going back to work and being able to afford fuel and other consumer goods. That is still a long way off. The speculators and good old American greed will be back in time and without rules, regulations and oversight it will happen all over again and we can go back to blaming OPEC and the oil Companies instead of doing anything about the real problem.. Oil ended the day at 35.18 and is still falling on the world markets. These are incredible times.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We will always be over the barrel as long as we depend on the middle East for Oil. All they want to do is kill us. We can fix this problem at anytime. We just need to drill for our on Oil. There is untold amounts Oil in our Country and we don't have a clue as to how much Natural Gas we have. Instead of a Dept of Energy, We should have a Dept of Drilling and refining Oil. The Dept of Energy hasn't produced a ounce of energy and they have no Energy plan. Electric cars is a joke, unless you want to ride around in a high tech Golf cart. Everyone should listen to T. Boone, I think he is right. And he at least is putting his money were his mouth is. And yes he does say we need to be drilling also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We need to be thinking in terms of North America, We do not live on the planet alone and we consume so much of everything that we are dependent on others in the world community. North America has the resources to greatly reduce our dependency on Foreign oil. By our I mean North America.
Alternate sources of energy, Fuel efficient cars, improved public transportation, increased recovery of known oil reserves all are part of the solution.Most important..acknowledging that we live in a global economy and must live within it.

There are 23 countries in North America including the United States of America. Thats right we are just ONE of those 23 countries. Here is the map of N.A http://www.mapsofworld.com/north-america/

Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #17
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Yesterday in Eugene Oregon the diesel price was $2.55 before my 10cent discount at Fred and Meyers. It had been down to $2.35 about 2 weeks ago. This is definately price gouging by the gas stations. You notice, it goes up quite fast when there is perceived "problem with supply , but retreats a whole lot slower when there wasn't a "problem". I guess we will have to do our best to make do since it is all beyond our control. The minority of special interests rule the majority. Greed always comes out on top and is not in favor of the average person. Hopefully Obamas plan will work and we can get back to some normal times. Wishful thinking probably.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote