Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Women are People? Canadian Information needed.

Now that I've got your attention (lol);

There is a cluster of statues in the center of Ottowa, Canada depecting women (called the Famous Five) of the late 1800's and early 1900's.

One of the women is holding a journal that declares, "Women are People."

When in Ottowa, my wife April took pictures of the statues, but not in enough detail to make out the date on the upheld journal page.

She is "semi-desperate" to know that date.

Does anyone know the date on that journal?

Thanks to anyone who responds. Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I cannot give yu any info on the request...but I am sure if you google the caption Famous Five Ottawa....you will get all you need...I think...the women are people comment comes from the granting of voting rights to women many years ago,,,
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Don was right re. Google. Try here for more info! http://www.heroines.ca/celebrate/statuepersons.html
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I spent about 2 hours reading and looking at many sites about the Famous Five, but none of the postings or pictures said or showed what the date was on the Journal the one lady is holding up.
I was hoping someone had a picture in detail or lived in Ottowa or visited Ottowa.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Actually the quote is that "Women are Persons". On October 18, 1929 the Privy Council of Great Britain (Then Canada's highest court.) overturned a previous Canadian Supreme Court decision that denied an appeal by the "Famous Five" that women were persons under the law. The original group of statues are in Calgary Alberta. The journal is meant to represent a newspaper of the time when the historic decision was made. The case was originally brought to trial by Emily Murphy who was the first female magistrate in the British Empire. Defence attorneys had argued successfully that her decisions had no legal weight as she was not a "Person" because she was a women. Women were given federal voting rights in 1918 but had to wait until 1939 to get the right to vote in provincial elections in Quebec.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote