Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
hblosser
Established Member

M.O.C. #17274
Question Replacement of galley gray water valve with electric

I'm considering replacing the manual valve currently used for our galley gray water tank with an electric one. That way I can put the switch in the convenience center with the two other valve actuators. Has anyone done this?

2015 Montana 3610RL
2017 Chevrolet 3500HD High Country CC DRW 4WD Duramax/Allison
hblosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have done it on SOB TTs. I liked it alot better then having to crawl underneath at the dump station. Only real issue is finding 12VDC for the actuator.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
One thing you have to remember about the electric run valves-- when you push that button to close the valve it will keep sliding no matter if there is something blocking it or not. If something is in there that blocks the sliding valve it could burn the motor out at the worst aspect. This is why I'm keeping my hand pulled/pushed valves. If something does obstruct the closing of the valve, I will be able to feel it and stop closing the valve and reopen it. Yes, this is a gray tank valve BUT things do happen and things can fall into the tank or may even be in the tank when it is purchased such as the puck they cut out of the tank top to install the inlet pipe and the outlet valve as examples.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Rondo good points.
On my SOB TT I was close enough to be able to hear the valve actuator. So I could hear the motor running.
However after a while you now how long it takes to open and close. So you will get an idea if something is wrong if it takes too long. Plus the motor is fused so that will help.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblosser View Post
I'm considering replacing the manual valve currently used for our galley gray water tank with an electric one. That way I can put the switch in the convenience center with the two other valve actuators. Has anyone done this?
I put EZ electric Valterra valves in our 5th wheel and I would not have it any other way. RV makers don't care; like you may think they seem to do. They have told me your getting a 80k rv for 55k so what's your beef? NO More will I trust them. I will keep and rebuild the one I got till it falls apart. once I'm out of rv business I'm OUT. They get what ever they can get then after a few years, talk to the hand. Next I will do FLEX ARMOR on the roof and remove all decals then Body paint the whole rv....
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #6
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblosser View Post
Im going to put an EZ valve in my kitchen tank. All EZ valves are 3" electric. I will have to do a reducer on the kitchen an run the switch to the control panel on inside of rv so when tank is full she doesn't have to go outside in rain or dark to drain water. Just remember to put a cut off switch in the circuit, they have limit switches but you would want to turn off voltage when your done, I used a house wall switch. works and looks great. I have already replaced black an bath tank valves with EZ. RV Makers are missing out, I will NEVER buy another one. I'm going to rebuild this one instead.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #7
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
I used $9.00 extension 110 cord 25' cut ends off and soldered and shrink tube, ran it straight to battery. Look don't worry, you either do it or don't. People say a lot of sh..t they know NOTHING about. EZ from etrailer has reasonable price and shipping.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Just remember, travel light, drive safe, see all you can see of God's beautiful country before you can't or they[Government] takes that away, like some of them want to.....just listen to them talk!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Two montanas since 2006.We use them hard and long.Never a problem with the valves.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Two montanas since 2006.We use them hard and long.Never a problem with the valves.
richfaa. Do you have you any routines to keep the valves smooth? What tank additives do you use?
We had problems with our Montana that had to do with the routing of the pull cables. Tight bends that over time caused binding. When I installed the replacement cable/valve assembly, I re-routed the cables to eliminate any tight bends.No problem ever since.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Hmm... Lots to think about here. I have a kitchen gray tank pull INconveniently located underneath a slide and I have been using a Long-handle Cultivator to open and close it. It works very well, and I've seen plenty of ingenious fabrications on-line. I have been lubricating all the pull cables with silicone at least once a year, and whenever they seem to pull or close hard. I guess if it isn't broke I won't try to fix it, although electric valves do seem like a nice mod!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmart View Post
richfaa. Do you have you any routines to keep the valves smooth? What tank additives do you use?
We had problems with our Montana that had to do with the routing of the pull cables. Tight bends that over time caused binding. When I installed the replacement cable/valve assembly, I re-routed the cables to eliminate any tight bends.No problem ever since.
We have no maint routines just lucky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote