Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
This is totally the reason we are not upgrading our 2013 Montana 3582RL. Even though we can't stand the restroom, at least things are working right now.

The mfg and dealers not servicing what they sell makes me sick of them. The factory workers must not have any pride in what they build or they wouldn't so many problems.

There must not be one quality inspector in the whole facility.

Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #22
mattf
Established Member

M.O.C. #22665
It's always a shame when the owner gets stuck in the middle between 2 large companies. If Keystone had good customer service they'd replace the refrigerator on a unit that's under their one year warranty (if that's the case), then Keystone and Norcold can fight it out between themselves as to what caused the failure. Really a shame when the owner gets caught in the middle. Let us know how it works out.
mattf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Im with the crowd that will keep there older unit. I have been over mine from top to bottom and front to back. I have seen dam near every sq inch of it. I have it just about the way we like it - the Mor Ryde IS (hopefully coming soon).

I have read about way to many issues/problems with the new ones.

Hell we don't even use some of the gismos and gadgets ours has .LOL I see no need to operate anything on a camper from a cell phone.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #24
uncdodge
Established Member

M.O.C. #10582
Rv

Check out rvhorrorstorys.com
uncdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #25
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
On our first lake trip about a month ago, the fridge it wouldn't cool on LP. Insulation was to blame on the top of the propane stack. Adjusted it out of the way and works great now. So much for QAQC at Keystone.

Also had an issue with the Maxx fan in the kitchen when the dealer did the PDI. It would open, but the fan wouldn't turn on. Keystone sent a new fan direct to me this week (finally). Before I received it, I did some troubleshooting. I used an old phone cable to jump between the switch and the circuit board on the fan. Fan turned on! After a little digging, I found the cable between the fan and switch was damage about 12" from the wall switch and a wire was cut. I cut the cable off and replaced the RJ-11 phone jack connector and all is good. I'm going to put the one they sent in the bedroom ceiling.

I wish we could bill Keystone for the time spent fixing their mfr issues.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #26
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
Update, day 18, as of this afternoon Misty from Keystone emailed us stating that new unit was being shipped to dealer today. Here’s hoping keeping fingers crossed.��������
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #27
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
Update, day 24 still waiting for part shipped last Friday.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Im sorry, but my blood would be boiling by now. I would be at or on the phone with my selling dealer several times a day until it was replaced. Thet would also be extending my warranty.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
My blood is boiling, I’m 1800 from my selling dealer, out of pocket for lodging the last 3 weeks while Norcold and Keystone passed the buck. I have decided at this point my best course of action will be talking it back to dealer in Az. I told the repair dealer here in Huntley Il that I will be picking it up fixed or not on Friday. It is beyond my financial means to keep sitting here. When I get home it is time to sit down with an attorney.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I feel your pain. Unfortunately rv dealers do not work like car dealers, and its a dam shame. Last year I drove 250 miles to buy a car that was described to me by the dealer as being near perfect. When I got there and test drove it, as soon as looked it the passenger side mirror I noticed it was damaged. No problem they said we will just swamp it with a mirror of another same color car on own lot.

I know you are far away from your selling dealer, but something like this has to be done to make you whole again.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #31
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Some lessons here for new folks and no hit intended on the OP for his actions as he appears to be new to the RV world. Montana owes him something his trouble.

Lessons:

1. When able, take 1 or 2 short shakedown trips with a rig that is new to you to figure out how things work and to check they do work before taking that long important trip.

2. You are going to have things break. If you are on that important trip and your rig is still mobile but some non safety related system has quit, become flexible. In this case using a cooler or small fridge in the garage could have been preferable to staying in a hotel. There are also work arounds for air conditioning, water heater, heater and other appliances. Not optimum but doable.

Again, no hit intended on the OP.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree AZ, sometimes you have to do what you have to do (improvise). A fridge/ac/heater etc will not EVER stop us from enjoying the camping experience. S--- happens.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #33
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We bought our rig from Lakeshore that’s about 2000 miles from our home. They want you to stay on site for several days just to be sure everything is fine. That’s a good thing as the refer quit the very first day. After a bit of face to face coming to God moments they took a unit out of another rig and installed it in ours. Has worked great ever since.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #34
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
Well finally some good news, day 27 and repairs are complete. Went to pick it up from repairing dealer to discover they also needed to change out circuit board now that cooling unit was replaced. To their credit they took the part out of a new in stock unit, to get us back on the road. Keeping our fingers crossed!!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #35
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
We are a few days into our journey home with about 500 more miles to go. Good news is that the refrigerator is staying cold. The bad news is that it will only work on propane and if we try to use the power vent above kitchen table the refrigerator will stop working. So I guess we are headed straight to the dealer. This has been a very frustrating first outing.