Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
"Leather Furniture" chipping and peeling

We have a 2014 Montana, we paid an extra $1600 for the leather furniture. It has been actively use for about 12 months and carefully stored in Florida for two summers.

The furniture is made by Flair Interiors in Goshen, IN. and is “bonded leather”. (Scraps of leather made into a pulp and bonded with polyurethane coating.)

I have extreme chipping and peeling with my furniture. Keystone refuses to take any responsibility for their poor choice of furniture which routinely gets stored by most owners in warm, hot or cold temperatures. Ashley Furniture and Kanes furniture have class action suits re: bonded leather

If anyone is experiencing the same issues I would like to hear from you. I believe Keystone should be held responsible for the furniture they are selling us.

Thanks
Carol Keller

lkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have same problems with my SOB. I believe it to be a fairly common problem industry wide
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Looks like Ya missed the Boat by one year I had Flair Furniture in my 2012 and it was Junk and got rid of them and bought Lazy boys ,they no longer use Flair my 2015 has Franklin Brand sofa and recliners that are WAY better quality no flaking or cheap levers etc..and are wearing well in Fulltime use (but they still are bonded leather) if you want Real leather ya gotta buck up and buy a DRV Mobile Suites etc..
Old 01-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
I have the same issues in the extreme. Keystone washed their hands of it and the furniture supplyers response was that I could buy another peice of s**t at my expense. They both said the furniture was designed for occasional use. I did not see a warning on it that you could only sit on it so many times or so many hours before it started to self destruct. Not impressed.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You still have Flair brand in your 2015?? on my 2015 they are Franklin and Much better
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thundercat

I have the same issues in the extreme. Keystone washed their hands of it and the furniture supplyers response was that I could buy another peice of s**t at my expense. They both said the furniture was designed for occasional use. I did not see a warning on it that you could only sit on it so many times or so many hours before it started to self destruct. Not impressed.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Looks like Ya missed the Boat by one year I had Flair Furniture in my 2012 and it was Junk and got rid of them and bought Lazy boys ,they no longer use Flair my 2015 has Franklin Brand sofa and recliners that are WAY better quality no flaking or cheap levers etc..and are wearing well in Fulltime use (but they still are bonded leather) if you want Real leather ya gotta buck up and buy a DRV Mobile Suites etc..
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Not only did we pay $1600 for "leather" but paid over $5K for full timers pkg. So we got SK...ed!
Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
2014 Bad Year!
Quote:

You still have Flair brand in your 2015?? on my 2015 they are Franklin and Much better
Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Find the label and read what the " leather" is made out of....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They should be responsible for what they sell but they WILL NOT BE. I'm sorry but that is just the way they do business.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We too have the same furniture.... We also have the chipping and peeling with our 2 recliners and couch... Extremely disappointed.... The other day our recliner broke, the wood inside is just held together with staples, no screws, that recliner went to the dump...

We do travel to Florida to escape the Maine winters, but have never stored it in extreme heat, when we leave in May, our Big Sky comes home with us.

Looking at new furniture. I will not be looking at RV furniture, don't trust it..

Keystone should be ashamed of themselves choosing such a vendor.. Agree someone should take responsibility, but I know it won't happen...
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
They did make a change they do not use Flair Interiors anymore(do not know about the High Country's) mine and all the newer Montana's that I have looked at have FRANKLIN brand which is an improvement and Again folks you are Not on ANY Brand in Montana's price range going to get REAL Leather
Old 01-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
What if the big three automakers took the same attitude as the rv industry and told you every time something breaks you need to contact the supplier of the broken part. Automakers have hundreds of suppliers and they take care of the problem themselves instead of blaming someone else.If you installed it then you should warranty it.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #14
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Threw our "leather" furniture away and bought Lazy Boy. Best thing you can do to be comfortable. The original furniture is junk. Upgrade was a waste of money but what do you do?
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:

Furniture holding up well in our 2015 as well. Still looks good after heavy use, on our third five month snowbird season down here in Florida in this rig. Once a month I do wipe down with a leather preservative.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have friends that have a SOB 2013 fiver. They live down here but generally travel north or west in the summer. Last fall their "leather" began flaking and coming apart. What may speed up this process is if your RV is in a warm climate 12 months a year.

Our present MH has flexsteel furniture but we still keep it treated.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Read the label on your leather furniture and see what you have....

Bonded leather is the lowest grade of leather, because it is not really leather – just shredded leather scraps and bits reconstituted with a filler and backed with an embossed polyurethane coating. It’s very cheap, but falls apart quickly. Bonded leather is found in low-end furniture and accessories, and sometimes book binding. You may also see this referred to as reconstituted or blended leather.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Leather is different than most products in that the more work you do on it the cheaper it is. That goes all the way from bonded the the really fine stuff found on million dollar cars where you cut around any imperfections.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #19
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:

Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
Ours is one of the first ones off the line in 2015 model year, it came off the line 5/14/2014.I have no info on the brand name of the furniture or paper work on it, only the order for the color by K eystone.The Keystone factory rep. had the comunications with the Vendor.

Originally posted by thundercat

thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote