Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Insurance, etc.

We are picking up our 2007 3400 day after tomorrow!! We can't wait! We have learned so much from this group so far and are VERY appreciative of those who have shared their wealth of knowledge. We are going to be full timing (in effect) for about a year while we build our next (down sized) home. I still work full time. We are going to be set up in a nice local RV park, and traveling on weekends/holidays as our schedule permits. I know we need to make the first (of many) trips to CW for accessories, supplies, etc., but I just realized today I need to insure that rig as well. My auto insurer (happens to be a brother) can do it, but he suggested I look around. I know CW punts you off to GMAC, and they offer replacement coverage, at least for a while. Any suggestions about insurance would be most appreciated! Also, is there anything else I need to do to be "covered". Thanks for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
So long as you are a homeowner, your homeowners insurance will cover the Monty when it is not hooked up. When it is hooked to the TV it should be covered by your TV insurance.

FULL TIMER COVERAGE - As Full Timers and no longer homeowners you will need a bit more than your standard RV insurance. You need special coverage’s including higher liability limits. For example, for the average RVer, your home owners policy will cover you should a visitor fall and injure themselves while visiting you in your RV. As Full Timers without that home owners policy we must have this additional coverage to cover such events. Most insurance companies do not understand Full Timers' needs and will not write this coverage for you. So if you are full timing be sure you are protected.
The company we found to best suit our needs was Mendota. And we also have the disappearing deductible (when no claims) and full-value replacement if totaled within the first five years. We also have Personal Effects Coverage covering our personal property such as clothing, jewelry, cameras, pots, pans, dishes and etc. Emergency Expense Allowance covering hotel stays if your RV is damaged or destroyed.

The following added on EDIT-----

For a list on Insurnace company links go the the MOC RV Related Links Page.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

So long as you are a homeowner, your homeowners insurance will cover the Monty when it is not hooked up. When it is hooked to the TV it should be covered by your TV insurance.

FULL TIMER COVERAGE - As Full Timers and no longer homeowners you will need a bit more than your standard RV insurance. You need special coverage’s including higher liability limits. For example, for the average RVer, your home owners policy will cover you should a visitor fall and injure themselves while visiting you in your RV. As Full Timers without that home owners policy we must have this additional coverage to cover such events. Most insurance companies do not understand Full Timers' needs and will not write this coverage for you. So if you are full timing be sure you are protected.
The company we found to best suit our needs was Mendota. And we also have the disappearing deductible (when no claims) and full-value replacement if totaled within the first five years. We also have Personal Effects Coverage covering our personal property such as clothing, jewelry, cameras, pots, pans, dishes and etc. Emergency Expense Allowance covering hotel stays if your RV is damaged or destroyed.
Glenn,
Do you have a web address for this Insurance Company?
Thanx, Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you decide to go with a company familiar with insuring RV's, there are several. Two I know of besides Mendota are National Interstate (who we're with) and Progressive. Our coverage sounds identical to Glenn's. We also have the Fulltimer's Liability. I think Glenn does, too, if I read his post correctly.

Make sure you check with your agent and read the policy to make sure you are covered, just in case.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
You may also check out State Farm, which we have, and will have when we go full time - we simply change our home owners to renters for the contents and our auto insurance maintains the coach and tv as it does now; with full replacement (less deductible) and car rental, etc. Plus we keep our Good Sam ERS, and CSP in force for mechanical and medical breakdowns.

If you need some technical info - look up in your State for the Insurance Commissioner's office, and they may have a list of companies they have heard good or bad things about - most states do for life and health, so you would need to ask about auto/home/rv.

Good Luck, Happy Trails
Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
Retired, RV'ers, Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Check out Explorer RV, Phone #888-774-6778, or go to www.explorerrv.com
That's the agency we went with and we are insured by National Interstate. I believe they are reasonable, at least much more reasonable than GMAC.

Also, be sure you check out State Farm closely. They do not insure fulltimers. I don't know why they don't but they dropped us when we told them we were fulltime RVers. This, after being with them 35 years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
drjjj,

You might want to check with your brother about coverages in Texas and what I am posting below. Since you will no longer have a house you won't be able to cover your contents in the RV from that policy.

You will not have coverage for comprehensive and collision for your Monty from your TV policy. Your liability will extend from your auto policy to cover your trailer if involved in a wreck. We have raised our limits on our auto liabilty coverage and have an umbrella policy in case we had an accident. You can do alot more damage with a TV and a Monty behind you than just a vehcile.

We were insured with Foremost Insurance and had a replacement cost policy that was broader than the current State Farm Policy that we have now. We will cancel our policy and have it rewritten next year with either lower insured limits with State Farm, or move it to another company. State Farm insures your Montana at the stated amount, but will not give you replacement cost if you should total it.

I believe that Foremost Insurance carries policies for people that fulltime. You can contact a local independent insurance agent that writes with them. Just remember Texas doesn't have the same extensions that some of the other states have that cover damage for property damage to an RV. Apparently some states cover a RV under their home policy, Texas doesn't do that. Glen makes a good point about making sure that whom ever you insure with that they understand the gaps that can arise when you don't have a stick house and are living in your Monty full time.

If your brother is an insurance agent you should be able to have him bind coverage on it until you can get into his office to fill out paper work.

I was looking at your profile and saw that you are a vet. We own a dog and cat boarding kennel in Driftwood near Dripping Springs. Congrats on your new purchase.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are FTers. I am insured with Foremost. They are NOT my truck insurance carrier. They had specific "Full Timers" coverage - including the liability - as Driftwoodgal mentioned, and I have lowered my deductibles to 100/250 for Comp/Collision. Also, picked up their ERS with NO $$$ limit on towing - either tv or 5ver (they had limit levels available for less cost), and a $2,000 Emergency Expense Allowance that Glenn mentioned. I was VERY pleased to see this policy when doing my research.

All of the above was $909/yr - VERY reasonable. Now we'll see how they are when I have to file a claim...

*On Edit~ Oops... correction: I have a $500 limit on towing. I will double check on this tomorrow.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We also have Exployer RV and I think they are very reasonable. We are not full time yet but some day in the future.

2005 2955RL Montana
2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Ext Cab 4x4
Bob and Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have GMAC and am pleased with it. Once thing I discovered when checking the different companies is that they have different definitions of full time. Make sure the company you select defines fulltime per your situation.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Explorer RV Insurance gave me the best rates. Remember the rates vary around the country depending where you live. I like there disappearing deductible. By the way my homeowners insurance does absolutely nothing for my Monty. Do your homework, ask lots of questions.

Happy Camping

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A very timely post for us, as Sue and I were talking about this just yesterday, we have everything under State Farm.
I asked her about coverages and if we had the policy yet, I found that we need to sit down with our agent, as we haven't looked into this enough. You get an agent and assume he or she is taking care of you, but as Rkassl stated, we all need to do our homework on this.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ozz,

Since I used to be in the insurance industry, let me give you a little tip. Some agents don't know enough about their coverages so please be sure to read your policy. I was watching the news this morning and watched a trial lawyer stating " The insurance companies didn't cover wind damage done to homes if they had water in them when they were hit by Katrina." Hhhmmmmmm what was my husband doing done in Florida and then Louisiana for four months?

In TEXAS State Farm adjusts your RV policy just as it does your auto policy. They will not give you replacement cost on your RV and they will charge you a premium by your purchase price. This is the reason that we will either be getting a new insurance company next year or lowering the stated value of our Monty. We are full timing so we have contents coverage that extends from our homeowners and we have a 1 Million dollar liability policy. Heck the liability runs us $131 a year.

Dave and Cheryl,

I think you will find that Foremost is a very good company if you have to use them for a claim. I have had personal experience a long time ago when I had a mobile home and Bob has handled losses for them. Not sure about an wreck as I don't have first hand knowledge on that, but normally a company that is good in one area of claims will also pay out in the other areas.

Colleen

Geez guys sorry I posted that we were full timing. We are not full timing so we have a homeowners policy that does give us contents coverage away from our primary residence.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Colleen. I will take, and act on your advice. Thanks for taking the time to help.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing that may be overlooked by fulltimers is PERSONAL liability. You need coverage beyond liability covering you should the rig be in an accident on the road. You need personal liability just like you had with your homeowners insurance. In case someone trips over your water hose and breaks their tailbone. Etc.

This is why I recommend finding an agent who deals with RV insurance, not just home and auto. There are several good companies. We happen to be with National Interstate for the Montana and fulltimers because they had the best rate at the time. Likewise for why the truck is with Progressive.

For those fulltimers needing insurance who are planning to use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD, for mail, ask Paul for a recommendation for an agent. He will send you to his friend, John Dougherty, who is right next door. That's who we're with.

Colleen, you are absolutely right about read and know your insurance policy. I believe "Act of God" is the term that gets them out of it. We had two basement walls cracked because of retraction of the surrounding earth due to drought followed by expansion from a 4" rain in a couple of hours. It was a fully finished basement, ruined. It cost us $23,000 to get everything back into shape. Insurance denied it. Act of God. We had to pay it all. This was just prior to our sale of the home and start of our fulltiming.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Keep in mind that insurance company rates are based on your residence. A company that may be cheap in one state may be high in another.

For a list on Insurnace company links go the the MOC RV Related Links Page.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 AM   #17
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
""You may also check out State Farm, which we have, and will have when we go full time - we simply change our home owners to renters for the contents and our auto insurance maintains the coach and tv as it does now; with full replacement (less deductible) and car rental, etc. Plus we keep our Good Sam ERS, and CSP in force for mechanical and medical breakdowns.""

Sure hope you have no problems, as this is not correct. You need to talk to an insurance professonal. You are being misled.

FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Steve,

Gosh sorry about your basement problem that must have been horrible.

Insurance is only worth it if you have a loss that is covered. If you have a loss that isn't covered then people can get upset with the insurance company. It is always good to question the adjuster about coverages as sometimes they aren't sure themselves. If you have a problem with a loss then I suggest that you contact the Insurance Board of your home state.

Adjusters are just like anyone else being polite sure goes a long way instead of yelling at them. I know I made phone calls for Bob from here in Texas to insureds in Louisiana. It was horrible that so many lost homes and had no coverage because of the Act of God ( the perfect storm) that took out the levees.

Sorry I am well off topic. To the OP just remember that each state has different types of policies and different coverages. Coverages can also change when you drive out of the USA into Mexico or Canada so be sure to know where the insurance company stands when driving there.

As Steve posted I am more worried about a liability issue, thus we carry the Umbrella policy that insures us for a million dollars. This policy picks up after our auto policy, homeowners, and RV policy are used first.

Colleen
Old 08-16-2006, 08:30 AM   #19
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Glenn and Lorraine stated...."So long as you are a homeowner, your homeowners insurance will cover the Monty when it is not hooked up. When it is hooked to the TV it should be covered by your TV insurance."

This might be true for full timers or with your particular ins co...not mine. My RV is listed with my other vehicles on the auto policy, with no charges to the RV for liability, the TV covers that. What I pay for on the RV, on the auto policy, are comprehensive and collision coverage. My house policy has nothing to do with RV ins...ins guy said house ins and RV ins are not related at all.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FulltimeFollies

""You may also check out State Farm, which we have, and will have when we go full time - we simply change our home owners to renters for the contents and our auto insurance maintains the coach and tv as it does now; with full replacement (less deductible) and car rental, etc. Plus we keep our Good Sam ERS, and CSP in force for mechanical and medical breakdowns.""

Sure hope you have no problems, as this is not correct. You need to talk to an insurance professonal. You are being misled.

Check State Farm closely. They do not insure fulltimers! They were emphatic about that when they dropped us after 35 years with them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote