Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Suggestions for Disney World campgrounds

A year from now we will be meeting our son and his family at Disney World. I'm already working on our reservations so I thought I'd go to the experts. We don't need anything plush as we will be in the park or at their condo most of the day. Something convenient would be nice. Thanks in advance for your help.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Most of the campsites are pretty much the same. After backing in, the picnic tables are in the rear. I thought the driveways and loops were tight.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Fort Wilderness is WDW's RV park and is "on property." It is a wonderful RV park with pools, facilities and bus and/or boat transportation to all WDW theme parks (in operation well before and after park hours). Not sure the cost now but if you are looking for "something convenient" you can't do better!!!
Have fun and say hello to Mickey!!!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Judy, dsprik is in the Disney area as we speak and has been doing a lot of research on the different area campgrounds. If he doesn't reply to this thread I would PM or email him as he should be a great help to you.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
We have been there 2 times. DCP is right that some of the sites are hard to get into. The first time we went, we got there at 9:00 p.m. and it took us 45 minutes to get into the site. Tell them that you want a site on the "outside" of the loop. Very easy to get into these. The sites are all level and very nice. It is a nice place to walk or ride bikes. The buses do go to everywhere that is Disney's property. FREE...
Downtown Disney is a nice place to visit in the late evening and then they have a very nice fire-works display at closing. VERY NICE.. They were in the process of laying t.v. cable for all sites. We payed $50 per night with a Florida's residents discount. Lots to see at Disney for ALL ages....
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Glenn, I will get in touch with Dave.

I guess I wasn't very clear. We've stayed at Fort Wilderness and agree that it is very nice and convenient. And quite expensive. Since we only need a place to lay our head after exhausting ourselves with the grandgirls, I was hoping for something more moderate in price. But thanks for your responses.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Thanks, Glenn, I will get in touch with Dave.

I guess I wasn't very clear. We've stayed at Fort Wilderness and agree that it is very nice and convenient. And quite expensive. Since we only need a place to lay our head after exhausting ourselves with the grandgirls, I was hoping for something more moderate in price. But thanks for your responses.
Your welcome Judy. After over 3 years on this forum ya gotta learn to read between the lines.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Judy,
We just arrived here in the Disney area for our second winter at the Encore Lake Magic (listed in Trailer Life under Clermont,FL). We are less than five miles from the Disney property. We will be here for the winter (Dec 1 - May 1). We have been very happy with this resort. You also might want to check out Tropical Palms which is another Encore park near Disney. It is also very nice. We like the Lake Magic Park as the spaces are a little larger than most in the area and it is also out of the heavy traffic pattern. We have discovered the back roads to Disney and seldom run into traffic jams which are frequent in the Disney area. We now have WiFi here so will be on the forum more often. If we can be of any further help, feel free to email me at jholroyd@mindspring.com.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you, Joyce, that's the info I'm looking for. Glad to hear that you guys are settled in for the winter. I bet you have lots of beautiful projects that you want to work on.

I'll look into those parks. Do they take short-timers?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Yes. Lake Magic takes short timers when space is available. Make your reservations as soon as possible. You can always cancel later if there is a change. Tropical Palms is definitely a short time park. They do not even have a weekly or monthly rate, only daily unless they have changed their policy in the last year. Another reason we chose Lake Magic for the long term. Be sure to let us know your dates. We will most likely be back here next year.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #11
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Do you have any campground memberships? With coast to coast and you can get into Encore parks for $13 a night. These include Sherwood Forest, Tropical Palms and Lake Magic. There is also a Thousand Trails not too far away north on US 27. If not, I still suggest any of the Encores mentioned above. Tropical Palms is only about 10 minutes away from WDW property and is very nice. During the winter months it is packed by snowbirds but still cheaper than Disney. It is also right next to Old Town which has some neat shops and car cruises on Friday and Saturday night as well as rides and amusements for kids.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Craig A covered them all for the most part but there is also a State Park - Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont on Rt 27. If you are looking for something not too expensive and nice and quiet that would be a great choice. Not far from 192 & Disney.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #13
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We drove out to the Lake Louisa campground last year and looked around. It is quite a distance off the main HWY 27 and very secluded. If you want quiet and seclusion this may be a park for you. It is probably about 20-25 minute drive further from the Disney property due to the distance you have to drive in the park before reaching the campsites. We like the convenience of being a little closer to the grocery store, restaurants, etc.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #14
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Judy

We stayed at Three Worlds in Davenport. It was about a 15 minute drive over not too bad roads. Passport America made it worth while. The pool was clean and we used it. We were really only there for sleeping.

Check out this review and the web site

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...Davenport.html
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for all the suggestions. It really helps to hear from folks who have stayed in these parks.

David, I hope you guys are out of Maine by now and heading for the RGV.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Judy,

We are leaving next Saturday. We just had Christmas with the kids today, Kathy takes her Spanish final next Thursday, we pack Friday and leave Saturday. We hope to be in the valley Christmas Eve but we may stay an extra day in NC with the rest of the kids.

Take care and be well
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
We have been there a few times and love it. We have had a hard time in the past backing into sites as some are very tight. We want to go for Christmas some time, but 2007 is "booked" and they won't take 2008 reservations yet, so we'll see. I asked about a waiting list, but they don't do that either.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hey Judy. We are at the Escapee park in Bushnell. It is a little further away but with all the freeways, not a long drive. We are going to Epcot on Thursday. I'll let you know just how far it is. You can't beat the price or the people at an Escapee Park ($12.50 a night)

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote