Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #1
rrgrant1

M.O.C. #32656
Electrical Outlet Problem

Went to the storage unit today to work on my 2021 3120RL and was hooked up to shore power from the pole at my parking spot. Lights were working etc,. but when I plugged an extension cord into an outlet to power the handheld cutter I brought there was no power at all. I went to the bathroom and couldn't get the GFI to reset at all. I saw that there were a number of outlets that said they were gfi protected, but since I didn't have the slides out etc., I could not locate another GFI to reset. I was wondering is there another gfi that could have been tripped in the 3120RL, and needs to be reset? Ended up just plugging the extension cord into the shore power outlet and used the cutter tool that way. We did just use the RV ma coulple of weeks ago and the outlets were all working fine. Appreciate any advice/insight you all might have. thx Bob

rrgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:57 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I assume you checked the 2 main breakers in the RV panel? You should have a GFI in the kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom GFI could be in the basement. Also did you check the power ped breakers?
Old 05-31-2023, 07:40 PM   #3
rrgrant1

M.O.C. #32656
I did check the breakers they were fine. I did not look in the basement but will certainly do that. Thank you!!
rrgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:19 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Was anything 120 vac inside working? GFCI not resetting means either there is a ground fault, or there is no 120 vac power, or a bad GFCI. First thing is to make sure a non GFCI outlet is working to show that you do have power.

As far as a second GFCI, there may be one on your island. But that would not affect the other GFCI not resetting.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
When my unit was new all the GFI's tripped whenever I started the gen. They were wired incorrectly.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:24 AM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Most if not all lights in your unit are 12 VDC, which only means you had enough battery power to burn some lights. It does not mean you have shore power. My quick check is to look at the clock display on the microwave, it's 120 VAC.

If you do have a GFCI tripped, they must have power available to reset. I recommend you start by confirming you have shore power.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
I agree with Bourbon Country and BB Tex.

Start at the power pedestal provided by the storage location and ensure they have power at that location, AND there is clean power being provided - if you can measure the voltage, it should be between 104 and 134. If voltage from the pedestal is higher or lower, then the surge protector for the shore power in your RV could have tripped and you are on battery and do not realize it. I just had this occur to me where numerous RVS were plugged into shore power and the available power to my unit dropped below 104 volts. The surge protector tripped. I did not know this occurred unit I checked power status (a habit of mine) and discovered a significant drop in my battery's power storage. A quick inspection of the power being supplied answered my question.

If the pedestal is good, then look at the circuit board. Are any circuits tripped? I assume you had and all is good.

Next is to locate all of the GFI plugs in your unit and had any tripped. In construction - home or RV, there may be more than one GFI on a line. If the "up-stream" GFI trips, then all GFIs on that line are not energized. If you have an up-stream GFI that has tripped and you plug into another one that is downstream, then you will have no power for the tool/appliance you are using.

Sorting through the electrical issues of your RV can be challenging, fun but also frustrating.

One last story. I had lost power to my plugs in the kitchen of my 5th wheel. After a day of searching for the cause and seriously contemplating an install of another line to bypass the problem, I discovered a wire had come lose in a wall switch! What?? Why was a wall switch on the same line as my plugs I wondered...??? It just was. Once I reconnected the wire, life was good, and a lesson was learned!!! Now I look for any reason and in any location.... Good luck

Cheers
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
There are GFCI receptacles on the market now with LED indicator lights on the face of the receptacle. They are green if everything is normal, red if tripped. Some have a couple of LEDs adding an amber one for miswiring or reversed polarity, etc. In any case if there is no LED burning, you have issues upstream and you know instantly where to start. I've seen these made by Leviton, Eaton, and Hubbell; these are old line companies that have been making devices for a very long time. I trust their quality.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote