Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
electric stove (fireplace)

I am thinking about getting an electric stove from vermont castings to put in the rear of my montana. It is cast iron and looks like a wood stove! Does anyone have any experience with these freestanding stoves? Is the heat output worth the money ($500)? I love wood stoves and there is nothing like the cozy feeling you get from a fire. The stove URL is:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/conte...ils.cfm?id=246

tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Pretty thing, isn't it?? Any idea of the weight???? would you add a "hearth" and how much would that weigh??

would not mind having one of those in the stick built!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I called about it today and the stove store here in Casper, WY said it weighs about 50lbs. The woman working at the store said she could pick it up and move it with no problem. I figure that this would be a great investment and I could use it in my stick built house when I finally find land and build it!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tim,
The brochure claims it gives off 4,500 btu's of heat. If the ol' memory does not fail me, I believe the fireplace from Keystone gives off 5,000 btu's of heat. I use the heater on those cool mornings to take the chill off. I would not be without my fireplace. If one could swing it (weight wise) I think one would really enjoy it. They make portable hearth's out there that could be purchased to put under that stove as a "just in case".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wow, just 50 pounds! Gotta say, I am a bit surprised, pleasantly so!!

Carol
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Might we know what is going to be under Carol's christmas tree this coming year?? =)
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Would love to Montana Sky, but, we don't have room in the 3295, sighhhhh, and we are really trying to downsize this house, or empty it out, and truthfully, there is no place here for it either, Front room on this house is kinda stinky. No fire place, booo hooo.

Ohhh, but, if someone wants to deliver it, the tree is still up in the parlor, just slip it in there and I'll figure something out! HA HA HA HA

Carol

One of the things we love about MOC is all the new things we learn! hmmmmm, wonder if I could find a place in the parlor near that tree??? hmmmmm????? HA HA
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tim
Vermont castings as been around a long time. I would trust anything by them. 30 years ago when I was selling wood burning stoves in Upstate NY, Vermont was one of our suppliers.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
This is really no different than the electric fireplaces some of us have built-in in the factory. Vermont Castings is one of the best stoves you can buy. Didn't realize they now have an electric version. If you can find a place for it, you should go for it. I am sure it is beautiful. Last years Lowes and HomeDepot were selling the little electric stoves for around $300. The stove may not be as pretty as the Vermont Castings but they were very nice and the flame was as realistic as the fireplace we now have in Monty. We bought an electric fireplace 2 years ago from Oak Express. It is in our living room in stick house. No real installation is required. You just plug it in, comes with a remote. We took a peek inside an it looks like there are mirrors shaped like flames on a wheel that revolves and lightbulbs. I know that some have mylar. Not sure if ours does. I don't think it uses much electricity if heater isn't on.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #10
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
Thanks for all the responses. My Montana does not have a fireplace in it, but it does have the prewiring under the TV. I kind of like the space under the TV to store things and a fire under the TV just seems as though it not quite a real situation for a fireplace. I have two recliners in the back, one of which we never use. So, we figured we could put the extra recliner in the ole storage unit for now and get a "wood" stove to go in the corner by the computer desk. I'm just curious if the stove will provide comfortable heat in the back.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since there is a fan in the stove I would think it would make the living room comfortable on chilly mornings the same as the built in fireplace does.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dont forget, if you have the ceiling fan, reverse the direction during those colder months. By doing that and using space heaters and the fireplace, I have been able to save the propane and keep the coach pretty comfy.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
We bought the dimplex ds2205 from lowes for $190 last fall. It worked real well last winter. Now that we have the house up for sale, we put it into the Monty. We moved the sofa to the rear and moved both small recliners out and put a larger lazyboy in where the sofa went, with the fire place. Works real well and gives us more room at the table. The fire place is 20X13x23 and is 1500 watts. Janet
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote