Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #21
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

If the CG voltage is above 102 volts, connect the surge guard to it, then the autoformer then the rig. If the CG voltage is below 102 volts, reverse the placement of the autoformer and surge guard.

Orv
Thanks Orv-sounds like the right way to do the set up.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #22
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Just wondering how you determine if you get the 50amp or 30amp unit? Does it depend on your rig? If you go to a campground that only has 20amp service, will the autoformer still work?
Thanks
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scrowba

Just wondering how you determine if you get the 50amp or 30amp unit? Does it depend on your rig? If you go to a campground that only has 20amp service, will the autoformer still work?
Thanks
It depends on what you use most. If your rig is wired for 50 amp and that is what you use most, then get the 50 amp autoformer. If all you ever use is 30 amps, get the 30 amp autoformer. You can use the 50 amp unit with 30 amps but not vise versa. Yes, they both will work on 20 amps as long as you use proper adapters.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #24
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Looking at the last post. I think I would always place the spike protector between the CG Post and the rig. I called Hughes and they advised that they do have some protection built into there unit, that being it will burn up before it allows the surge to get to your rig. That means that you will need a new Auto Former. If the voltage at the CG post is 102 or lower it wouldn't make any difference. If low voltage is coming from the CG post through the surge protector the auto former will still boast the voltage like it is suppose to and doesn't damage the auto former. Just my two cents
Safe Travels John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
I would say that we just bought a 30A (Hughes Autoformer) because I got it on a deal for $200.00 but I would also say that alot of parks that we find when we travel are 30 amp parks. We checked the voltage in the park that we are presently staying in and found that 30A w/autoformer is better that 50A without. Hot weather here and alot of newer rigs (Of course using 50A) using 2 air conditioners and lots of other things that have maxed out the 50 amp circuits. Our voltage at 30A at least at this park is better that the 50A without the Autoformer. Go figure....[img][/img]
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

Looking at the last post. I think I would always place the spike protector between the CG Post and the rig. I called Hughes and they advised that they do have some protection built into there unit, that being it will burn up before it allows the surge to get to your rig. That means that you will need a new Auto Former. If the voltage at the CG post is 102 or lower it wouldn't make any difference. If low voltage is coming from the CG post through the surge protector the auto former will still boast the voltage like it is suppose to and doesn't damage the auto former. Just my two cents
Safe Travels John H
John, it's been my experience that with a surge protector connected to the CG power and then through the autoformer to the rig, your autoformer will boost the low voltage--if the low voltage from the CG power is above 102 volts. Anything lower than that and the surge protector will not allow any voltage to get through. The surge protectors are factory set to cut off at low voltage of 102 volts.

Hope this helps a little.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote