Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Fishing Wires thru ceiling

Anyone have experience fishing wires thru the ceiling. I have a 2005 Mountaineer 335RLBS and am considering increading the spearker wire gauge to improve sound a bit. THis isn't important so if fishing wires is a big deal I have no problem passing on this item..
Just wanted to know how tough would be. Can it be done by twisting new with existing and pulling thru that way. I would not wish to remove any ceiling panels to do this.

THanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I dont think you will fish them with the old wires. More than likely they are fastened to the rafters with wire ties of sort. They build the roof down on a jig and everything is done down there. Thay have to keep all those wires out of the way. You could probably fish them thru, but I'd be afraid of balling the insulation up or making a big gap in it.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have 'fished' in these waters; I use a fiberglass wire fishing kit I bought at Lowe's, all it really consist's of, is a thin fiberglass rod with couplers on each end to screw more pcs. together. You could get by with a dowel rod, go from light to light. You could even use Gorilla tape to tape more dowel rods together; OR, get your gullible brother in law to go in with you and buy the set from Lowe's...............
It is not hard, and by trying you should not hurt anything. Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
The run lengths aren't long enough in the trailer for wire size to make any audible difference in the sound. But as Ozz said, you can fish a wire thru. The electrical wires are tied, but I don't know about the speaker wires. I would assume that they are. The roof trusses have holes in them so fishing parrallel to the trailer is not bad, going diagonally can be a challange.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,

I have 335RLBS as well. I have fished wires using a steel fish tape. I removed the shrouds from around the vents in the bathroom and bedroom. From the bathroom vent I was able to get over to the entertainment area. I pulled a fish string from the entertainment center to the bathroom vent and from the bathroom vent to the bedroom vent and then over to the TV area in the bedroom. I then pulled new coax from the entertainment center to the bedroom TV area. Everytime you pull a wire, always pull a new fish string with it. I have a fish string that is in the ceiling if I ever need to pull more wires. As to the insulation, it was laying on top of the ceiling. I tried to be careful and not catch it with the fish tape. I believe I was successful. While I had the vent shrouds off I fished another pull string to the vent in the back of the coach that also goes to the entertainement area. That way if I ever need to pull a wire to the back of the coach, I already have a pull string there. Just remember to always pull a new string everytime you pull a wire. This saves you from having to fish a pull string again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I also used metal wire fishing to do the same for wiring second air since it was not prepped for one.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I just did this about two months ago when I installed my new Sony surround sound system. I simply sodered the new wires to the old wires and gently pulled the wire through the ceiling to the entertainment center. I had no problem and it took about 20 minutes. I had wire going to the speakers already so I wasn't starting from scratch.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote