Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
About those DRW vs. SRW arguments

Just got back from a two week jaunt to Flagstaff, Phoenix, Palo Duro Canyon (TX) and back to Northern VA with one of my daughters and son (both adults). They only had two weeks off and wanted to see the Grand Canyon and a slew of other places as well as meet my brother in Phoenix. On the way back while it was my turn to drive, I clipped a piece of highway debris that looked like auto trim. Nothing seemed amiss and I checked air pressures and looked over everything at the next rest area. Turns out a chunk of that metal had been picked up by the truck's right inside rear wheel and after being pushed in enough by about a hundred more miles, the tire blew. Woke up my daughter who was driving, but other than a lot of noise and some vibration, there was no affect on how the truck drove. She had no difficulty continuing another 10 miles to a Love's and after waiting about a half hour, they changed it out for our spare. While a TPMS on that inside tire might have warned me, the point is that with a SRW, we'd have been on the side of an Interstate for a very long time. Without a TPMS and with a SRW, there probably would have been a wreck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowout sm.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1729