Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Stain color of 2009 Oak trim?

We have a 2009 oak trim in our Monty. The color before they changed to the hickory. I have a small wood shop and usually have success blending colors but for the life of me can not get a color to match. Have tried honey oak, light oak, golden oak, and it just don't make it. I am trying to stain an oak table that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Anyone know what stain to use that would match?

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I tried about every commercially available stain, straight and custom mixes, and could not replicate it exactly by hand rubbing the stain on. The long and the short of it is that to get a perfect match, it needs to be sprayed on. With rubbing or brushing the stain on, the open grain of the wood takes in more of the pigment than it does by the spray method. This results in dark patterns in the wood that you will not find in the original woodwork.

The outfit that did your '09s cabinet doors is Patrick Industries in Elkhart, IN. (a.k.a. Adorn Door)
The stain is their #67.

Keystone calls the color Cherry Tobacco, but the guys at Patrick Ind. just go by the number #67.

Their process is a spraying operation, using U.V. cured tinted stain/sealer with some clear top coats.

Even with using their same exact stain, I couldn't perfectly match the original woodwork by hand rubbing the stain on Ash(what your wood is in the '09) wood.

I don't think that they will up and sell & ship you any because that is not what their business is all about, but when I stopped by there unannounced and asked if I could maybe get some of the stain, I got a full-on, individual tour of the entire plant by the production manager and he had his head mixologist whip me up darn near a full quart of the stuff. He even rounded up a large piece of thin Ash veneer plywood so I could replace a piece of the vinyl wood-grain, fake wood paneling that is used in some of the rig. ....all for, ....wait for it, ....wait for it, ....not one thin dime!

I think if you could get ahold of some #67, used a paint sprayer or airbrush, and UV cured it in the sun or with a UV lamp you could make a perfect match. Me, I finally gave up, rubbed it on, called it close enough, and just live with the not-so-perfect match.

I did send a letter of appreciation to his boss, and to the owner of the company, telling them how outstanding their production manager is.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
When I installed a fireplace in our '07 3075RL I used some oak pieces and some trim wood pieces that were some sort of white wood. I used 3 or 4 different flavors of Minwax stain. I don't remember the exact colors now, or the sequence I put it on. But I just put on the first in what I thought might be the closest color. Didn't quite match. So I put a thin coat of another color. Still not quite. Thin coat of another color. Close. Another thin coat of the original color. Pretty darn close. I experimented on some scrap pieces of each type of wood before doing the real pieces.

Here is a picture you can see the final color of the various pieces of wood.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote