Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Dometic “Quiet Zone" air conditioner

Ok, so we have our new 2013 Montana with the •15,000 BTU Dometic “Quiet Zone”™ air conditioner.

It is very quiet, and fully vented throughout the 5th wheel.

We live in Florida and take her out for the first camping trip. It is hot and humid, and the a/c is running.

We look up and on the ceiling right where the 15,000 a/c unit is we see loads of "condensation" dripping on the floor. It is a perfect square about 10X18 inches. I dry it off with a towel and notice the ceiling is ice cold in that area.

Also all the vents are dripping water. I go outside, and running is running off the roof just like it is suppose to. It does not appear water is leaking from the a/c into the ceiling.

We take it back to the dealer to have it checked yesterday. They cannot figure it out, but what we did was removed some the these a/c vents. Loads of air rushed out of these holes.

Guess what, the ceiling then dried and no more condensation.

We had some friends there yesterday who was also buying a Montana, different model, but same a/c. When they turned on their •15,000 BTU Dometic “Quiet Zone”™ air conditioner the same thing happened to theirs.

The technicians has no idea what to do now. They will be contacting Keystone and try and work out a fix for this problem.

Has anyone out there had this issue?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Any chance you ended up with a block of ice created around the unit?
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There have been several threads over the years about condensation during high humidity. The consensus has been to run the fan on high. Might be worth a try. Also , Ozz posted a mod on vents that really increases airflow. We did the mod on our 2010 and run the fan on high during high humidity, no more condensation.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

There have been several threads over the years about condensation during high humidity. The consensus has been to run the fan on high. Might be worth a try. Also , Ozz posted a mod on vents that really increases airflow. We did the mod on our 2010 and run the fan on high during high humidity, no more condensation.
Being a brand new 5th wheel, I should not have to make modifications. This should be a responsibility of Keystone.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
After some research on my own, the solution may be vents that allow more airflow. The airflow on our current vents were very restrictive.

http://www.dwincorp.com

Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Darnell-- This is what OZZ found also and if you can find his mod he took another vent and replaced it with ones that allowed more air flow out of each vent. As Hook stated there are posts here on the subject and I think OZZ even posted pictures of his mod. We have an older unit but have found out you must have all the vents open when running the A/C in humid weather. If not, you do have a back up of cold air and the vents are not leak proof so you do get air loss and as you say condensation on the ceiling where those leaks are. Hopefully, Keystone will come through for you and come up with a different vent for you.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When you have a A/C unit that is designed for a certain airflow, and it has that airflow, all will work as designed. When you restrict that airflow, the supply temperature drops and you will get this result. It is simply restricted airflow.
Design, in the Montana, or a restriction in the ducting. More airflow is the answer. My Mod would solve this, but I agree with you, it is a warr item. Problem is that they may not be sharp enough to figure that out.

Mod:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20110618ACVentModificationAndAdditionalAdded?authu ser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMf1o6Tmpa2IQA&feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We don't camp much in very hot weather, but last year we were in North Chicago in July during the heat wave. 109* the day we arrived so of course we had both A/C units running full tilt. We didn't experience any condensation issues then. It may not have been humid enough. I will continue to follow this issue here, please let us all know what is discovered.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Ozz
Thank you, Thank you for this information!

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Quote "Being a brand new 5th wheel, I should not have to make modifications. This should be a responsibility of Keystone."
Not trying to be brash here, but either you're new to RVing or have been exceptionally fortunate in previous units. You'll be making several modifications through out your ownership to make things function as they should. The MOC is a wealth of info on those forth coming issues.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We had the same problem, water dripping from the ceiling registers on our 2001 Newmar. The fix was to add more return air vents and 2 more outlet grills.

Lack of air flow is the problem.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
2X dieselguy
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

After some research on my own, the solution may be vents that allow more airflow. The airflow on our current vents were very restrictive.

http://www.dwincorp.com

Well I made the mod, changed out the air vents. What a massive difference. The airflow has increased and the first time I took her out it was 93 degrees outdoors, and the temperature inside stayed in the mid 70's. There was no condensation.

Here is the vent I used. It is 1/8 larger than the hole, so I used a drill with a sander attachment to increase the size of the hole. Each vent took about 10 minutes.

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/94/...red-RV-AC-Vent
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
We were having a problem with our ac unit freezing up and found the the return air duct work had collapsed and that was fixed with numerous other things last year.. Have not used ac yet this year so we will see how it works in the near future. If you take a return air vent off the ceiling and get a mirror and look you may find something you don't want to see.....
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Agreed. Especially considering the cash we lay down for them.
Still, sometimes the owner will need to mod to eliminate the issue. The manufacturer/dealer is not always willing to correct the problem. Best of luck to you!

[/quote]

Being a brand new 5th wheel, I should not have to make modifications. This should be a responsibility of Keystone.
[/quote]
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree on the airflow.it will happen here in the stick house in very humid weather also.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We just took delivery of a 2013 Big Sky with the "Quiet Zone" AC. We spent two nights at the dealers complimentary hook-ups and the AC would hardly blow any air out the vents. They had to take the AC unit apart and found it was full of sawdust, blocking the air from flowing. They took the filter covers off and they were full of sawdust also. They scooped out all they could reach and used compressed air to blow more out. I still don't think it works right but we'll have to use it first and find out.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

We just took delivery of a 2013 Big Sky with the "Quiet Zone" AC. We spent two nights at the dealers complimentary hook-ups and the AC would hardly blow any air out the vents. They had to take the AC unit apart and found it was full of sawdust, blocking the air from flowing. They took the filter covers off and they were full of sawdust also. They scooped out all they could reach and used compressed air to blow more out. I still don't think it works right but we'll have to use it first and find out.
Our stock vents were too restricting. You could hardly feel the airflow. With the new vents, you can feel the air from just standing on the floor.