Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
WalMart parking lot

Heard about the guy who complained to WalMart management about the early morning delivery trucks waking him up while he was overnighting in a WalMart parking lot? Well, think I saw his brother at a local WalMart yesterday. Camilla and I were having lunch and saw a fifth wheel set up in the WalMart parking lot...yes, set up: slides open; sat dish in place; motor cycles off their tow vehicle and parked by their rig; and their generator going! This was the middle of the day!!! We have only spent one night in a WalMart parking lot, but for all of those folks who regularly take advantage of this free opportunity, they might just see this opportunity disappear if people like those mentioned above keep abusing the opportunity. Of course, that is just my opinion.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Some people are lacking common sense....they ruin it for others.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Some folks only have taste in their mouth. I am afraid I might have to say something to that dude. Freddy the Freeloader lives.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
All boils down to the Me Me Me attitude. But they will be the first and the loudest to bitch when Walmart is forced to ban all overnighting.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Noticed the Oak Grove, Mo WalMart has their entrance height restricted to 12'. Trucks and RV's cannot enter without damage. A trend, I hope not.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Noticed the Oak Grove, Mo WalMart has their entrance height restricted to 12'. Trucks and RV's cannot enter without damage. A trend, I hope not.
Mike
There has to be another way in. Walmart's trucks are 13'6".

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We were at a Walmart somewhere in Georgia that did that. The lot was full of RV's they just went around to the truck entrance and then came out front. When you're entitled you're entitled.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The one in West Memphis is like that but they do allow RV's to overnite. Store Mgr said it is mainly to keep trucks out of the lot but overnite RV's are fine. Several Interstates intersect there and there are several major truck stops in the area but evidently not enough.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We’ve never stayed at a Wal-Mart or truck stop but I won’t say that we never will. I can’t see myself relaxing enough to actually get any rest there. I feel that a campground offers a lot more security and a much better atmosphere for any needed R&R.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Park near the trucks. They know where it's quiet(er).

I stayed overnight at the Franklin, Tennessee, Wal-Mart several years ago. I felt (and slept) like I was in the median on I-24 in Chattanooga during rush hour!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
When the situation calls for it, you overnite where you can and be glad of it. One example, we got caught in a sudden snow storm, the main highway was closed to traffic, and the closest place to stop was an overcrowded truck stop. I had no intention of driving around locally on snow covered roads looking for anything. You do what you have to, just like with the the rest of life. We have overnited at truck stops, Walmarts [with permission], a couple of other random parking lots [with permission], and the most worrisome, a couple of rest stops. Now-a-days we don't travel all around at random so we mostly stay at the same places [rv parks] each trip south.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I agree Pat, you never seem to get as good a nights sleep at a Wal-Mart, (not with all the traffic at all hours of the night) as you do in an RV park. But they (Wal-Mart) comes in handy when you are traveling after you get off work and are trying to gain some distance between you and your destination.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Wal-Mart is never a destination (at least for us) but a convenient overnight spot for some rest and sleep. The reason we will typically stop at a WalMart is because it is dusk or a little after and we know we will be back on the road first thing in the morning. The nice thing about stopping at WalMart is we typically only stop long enough for dinner and then off to bed. Typically we buy dinner on the grocery side and get exactly what we are in the mood for.

I can not imagine any reason for us to drop the Level-Up, unhook the truck, unload the Jeep and set up the BBQ grill. I will admit that 10 days ago in the Wal-Mart in Fort Collins, CO we could see the smoke from the High Park fire and that had to be the most interesting thing we have ever seen from a WM Parking Lot. As for the noise we run a box fan. It will drown out most noise but we are typically tired enough we have no problem sleeping.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Are you sure that Walmart was in Fort Collins,CO? Don't think city of Fort Collins allows that. In fact you can't get a rig thru the lot. Were you out on the interstate?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I will typically aim for a Walmart to have dinner and spend the night when on a long trip to split a long drive. I have also seen some setup camp. It's crazy. I have seen signs in some Walmart lots that say no parking > 24 hours. That seems to me to be an attempt to keep those "campers" from setting up. Here is a great site that lists Walmart stores that don't allow overnight parking. http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Some folks only have taste in their mouth. I am afraid I might have to say something to that dude. Freddy the Freeloader lives.
I would want to say something too. Problem is, this is the type of person who would most likely start cussing you out for having the "nerve" to give them advice - or worse yet these days just shoot a guy!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Are you sure that Walmart was in Fort Collins,CO? Don't think city of Fort Collins allows that. In fact you can't get a rig thru the lot. Were you out on the interstate?
I25 @ Harmony Rd. 2nd time I have stayed at this WM. Always lots of trucks & RVs in the lot. They actually have a section of the lot for the trucks to park in.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although we have never overnighted at a wally mart and would only do so as a last resort we appreciate the opportunity to do so if required.It is jerks like the one mentioned that ruin it for all of us. we have seen folks like that many times in W.M lots. I would have reported that to the store manager.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #19
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

I25 @ Harmony Rd. 2nd time I have stayed at this WM. Always lots of trucks & RVs in the lot. They actually have a section of the lot for the trucks to park in.
That Walmart is in Timnath, CO. Fort Collins does not like RVs.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Thanks! Not real familiar with the area as we are always just passing thru. We have stopped at this WalMart several times over the past few years and it has always been very RV & Truck friendly.