Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
roadking2005
Established Member

M.O.C. #10670
Cold weather traveling advice please!!!!

This is our first attempt at escaping the Minnesota winter. As luck would have it we were going to leave tomorrow and guess what?, blizzard warnings in southern minnesota. So now, it looks like we should be able to leave Sunday. Here I go with some more of my what could be considered dumb, first timer questions. It,s supposed to be 12 below on the morning we're going to leave. Is this going to present any special problems with the fifth wheel? Is there anything special we can do that day to keep items that shouldn't freeze from freezing. Any sense in actually turning the refrigerator on? We should be able to make Kansas City on Sunday where it will be a whopping 28 degrees and a low around 18 so hopefully it will be clear sailing from there to Texas. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

roadking2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Sounds like you will need to leave the furnace on and you should be ok.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Yes, leaving your heater on sounds like a good choice. You could also not pack anything that would be harmed by the cold, and wait till warmer weather to stop and buy whatever you need.

Might want to stay in a hotel your first night.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have left at 4 below, 1st night stop was 17.

What we did

NO water.

Frig on.

Furnace on for the house plants (some years no plants, so, no furnace.

Food will be fine even if it gets cold, olive oil will coagulate from really cold weather but will thaw out.

DO NOT drive in snow or ice. Also do not drive day after when it is slushy with salt, that stuff will really do nasty stuff to the underneath of you unit, it is called rust.

That is our plan, it worked for us, just be careful, and have a nice winter.

Oh, slides MAY go in slow, that is ok, if they stop for a moment, lay OFF the button, wait about 15 seconds, push button again.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have two electric heaters for the Monty in cold weather one for the front of the rig and one for the rear, some parks dont like us running them but I never tell them I use them. I look at it as Im running the same power if it was the air conditioner, so dont volintear information. and have a safe trip
Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Don't tell my wife 'cause it's her Christmas present. She's getting a Sunbeam electric heated mattress cover. I've read all kinds of good comments from RV'ers using them and say they're much better than an electric blanket. We already have a down filled quilt. When we make our stops on the way south on boxing day, we'll be stopping at night and the trailer and bed will be ice cold. After hooking up to hydro, I'll be pushing the pre heat buttons on the Sunbeam right after firing up the furnace
You asked what items you should keep from freezing - yourselves

http://www.sunbeam.com/ProductDetail...dding&pid=6937
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Drive faster, but not over the speed limit, and get out of the cold sooner.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
One more tip - carry your own water for toilet use (couple of plastic milk jugs filled with water) until you get to warmer weather and can put some water in your holding tanks.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
When you stop for fuel/gas, make sure you shut your furnace off, especially near gas pumps. The furnace has a big flame that won't mix well with fresh gas fumes. It could be the guy next to you pumping too.
Safe travels!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Another tip, wet ones, aka baby wipes.

Will clean anything, including babies, us, puppies, counter tops, and even wipe the dishes down of food particles.

Wash the dishes again when you get water on board.

We have done the wet ones for 2.5 days till we could get far enough south to put water in Tana.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote