Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Question on Pin box with shock

Hello fellow traveller's,
I have a question on dampening the 'chucking' or longitudinal movement.
Now I already have 2 air bags in my hitch for the 'floating' on my ride, but I need a shock, or other dampening method for the 'chucking'.
I love the 5th Airborne, BUT, there would be redundancy with the air bag that I may not want to spend the money for, $689.00 or so..if I can just get the chucking dampening. I think I saw something, but can't remember.
Any ideas?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz,
We had to go to the TrailerSaver hitch in order to get rid of the "chucking." But it costs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I have the TrailAir pinbox and TrailAir center point suspension on my unit and still get the chucking (forward and back motion), especially on bad concrete roads (rough joints!). Not as bad as it used to be before the new pinbox but still there. Have seen posts where folks with the glideride (think that is the correct name) and the MorRyde pin box don't get the chucking because those hitches slide fore / aft but they don't get the vertical relief that Trailair and 5th Airborne provide. Tradeoffs. Sounds as though the glideride or MorRyde would be your best bets though as I read that you have the airpillows in your TV mounted hitch already (assuming I read that right). So you're providing the up/down relief and the new pinbox would provide the fore/aft. To early for my feeble brain but I think that made sense.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After taking a real good look at the trailsaver hitch that has got to be the way to go... Wish I had known more about it before spending the $ on the Mor-Ryde hitch pin and the Draw-tite hitch. I have to say that the Mor Ryde pin box removes 95% or more of the chucking. Under Normal road conditions(what ever that is ) we have a very smooth ride. The only time we have noted some chucking is on those severe wash board roads.It does address some vertical relief because we can see it moving up and down in the rear view mirror.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

I don't know the differences between the different distributors, but the 5th AirBorne hitch has worked real well. We have no other dampening between the hitch and pinbox, and are very satisfied with the ride in the truck and the lack of movement in the trailer.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, guys.
I looked up all of the above, and for less money, I think I can buy the Airborne, so I just may go that route, what is wrong with one more air bag for the ole gas bag??
Looks like Mor ryde is $795.00, Glide Ride is $739.00 and Airborne is $689.00 (PPL supply) (Maybe shipping will add $30.00 or so.)
Orv, since I have a Husky air ride with Two air bags, I can't see replacing that, so I will go with the trailer mounted 5th wheel pin deal.
Thanks for al of your input.
Ozz
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

Look at the motion on the Mor-Ryde web page. I think that might be more what you are after because you do already have the air hitch. Might get too much movement with both up and down airbag systems together.

Our Fifth Airborne really dampens that obnoxious jolt, but it does allow for quite a bit of up and down motion of the trailer itself. Having two airbag systems on top of each other may cause you to throw sparks off the back jacks when you hit the big swells in the road.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I added the Fifth Airborne a couple of weeks prior to making the trip from Memphis to Bristol and back. 520 miles each way.
I gotta say, we made the trip going both ways in between 8 and 8 1/2 hours of driving time, and we didn't feel like we'd been beaten when we got to the end of the ride. I was not nearly as tired as a four hour trip without the Fifth Airborne.
My daughter and Son-N-Law were in the back seat of the F250 and he said you could really see the amount of movement between the TV and the Monty. They are preparing to buy a fifth wheel and after watching the Fifth Airborne work, they said they won't buy a 5'er without a Fifth Airborne on it from the get-go.
Shipping for me from PPL was more like $60 to $65, shipped from their warehouse in Atlanta to Memphis via UPS.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dickie and Brad I really do like the 5th Airborne, since it it less money, and I feel I can adjust the airbags on my existing set up to a lower pressure; (5# to 100# range, and I had about 95# coming home a few days ago) I can add air to the 5th, and get the right set up.
The Mor-ryide is nice, but $795.00 plus shipping, and I like the 5th at the lower price too, even with the $65.00 shipping.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like it might work Ozz - Not familiar with your hitch, but it does have to have a pivoting head (front to back) for the 5th airborne to work. Otherwise it won't be able to move.

Brad
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper, she pivots front to back.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You're set ozz - you'll be ridin so smooth!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'll be looking forward to positive results on that ride Ozz...good luck bud.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Some of the roads and highways are teeth rattling, I just have to do something, the up and down is fine, but the chucking is really hard on everything and everyone, cats, Jims and Sues...........Makes the beer foamy as well
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Well since my ritual is to crack one open after landing at my site, I just couldn't stand to have to wait for them to settle down again...a person has to have their priorities you know...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My custom as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I think I saw something about a new pinbox from Trailair that addressed this problem (not on the website) but then I understand that Trailair was sold and I never saw anything else.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Ozz: I bought one of the Glide Rides that come standard on Hitchhikers ... as far as reducing "chucking" you won't believe the difference! Mine bolted right up with no grunting and groaning. Ride height stayed the same. Just had to attach the fiver JBox wiring underneath and the breakaway switch. You can buy direct from Demco, but if you go through a Hitchhiker dealer, you can save some bucks as I did. There is an RV dealer in Gardner, KS just west of you that does carry some applications, but I got a better deal through the Hitchhiker dealer here in town. With your air hitch, this would complement it very well IMHO.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:03 AM   #19
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Ozz, I wouldn't count on being able to do much ride height adjustment with the Fifth Airborne. The instructions tell 'ya to adjust air pressure to center the shock in it's travel. A little more or less air will still work, but the max travel is about 1 inch up and 1 inch down at the shock, and that won't move the Montana up or down much at all when the location of the pivot point is taken into consideration. One of those things that are hard to explain until you lay your eyes on one to see how it works.
Oh, the Fifth Airborne will change the ride height when installed.
I had to lower the hitch in the truck (16K Draw Tite, double pivot with slider) to it's lowest position. Even then, the Monty tows just a tad high in the front. Vertical distance from mount bolts centerline to bottom of skid plate is a bit more than the stock lippert.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
As long as it doesn't move me too high, I do have plenty of adjustment to lower my base, so I should be OK.