Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Thanks MOC, added leaf to the pack

Thanks for all the valuable info I get from you experienced members on this forum. I sure don't get this good advise from RV or Truck dealers. As a result of info I learned here I discovered that the only difference between my 2005 CTD 2500HD and the 3500 SRW is one extra spring in the pack and the running lights. The brakes and everything else is identical, part # for part#. So I had the extra leaf added today. I'm going to try to get DOT to upgade me to 9900gvw, but even if they don't I'll feel more comfortable carrying the weight. Also the tire info is a tremendous help. I have BFG rugged trail ats 265-70R17 and I wasn't sure if they were good tires or not until I read the positive remarks here. Thanks again and God Bless you all, Ray

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same tires we have, Ray. Excellent tires. About a thousand miles ago I put on a new set of the same tires. I got 70k out of the original set and could have gone another 5k to 10k but with ice and snow starting to fall around here I'd rather have new rubber pulling me through it.

That extra leaf is the difference between the Ford F250 and F350 SRW, too, except there's also a rear stabilizer bar on the F350. Add the Camper Package (for slidein campers) to the F250 and it's identical to the F350 except for the badges and numbers. The F250 remains at 10,000 GVWR.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Steve I found this out as well when I got my first Ford. I got the Camper package and it was a F250 on steroids. I did the same when I got the new 05 with camper package and the FX4, 4X4 package. It pulls and sits loaded with the Monty just like it was a one ton. No rear end squat.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Steve, thanks for your positive and encouraging replies to my threads. I almost gave up on the fiver and went back to a TT. With your F/T experience and expertise it really helps novices like me. God Bless, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
On 05 and newer F350 SRW trucks to get the max GVWR you must get the 18" tires.
They have a weight rating of 3640 pounds.
Unfortunately, there are only two tire choices out there in this 10 ply rating 18" size. Lonnie says more coming soon. I hope so and I hope BFG
will be making one in this size soon.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ray fischer

Thanks for all the valuable info I get from you experienced members on this forum. I sure don't get this good advise from RV or Truck dealers. As a result of info I learned here I discovered that the only difference between my 2005 CTD 2500HD and the 3500 SRW is one extra spring in the pack and the running lights. The brakes and everything else is identical, part # for part#. So I had the extra leaf added today. I'm going to try to get DOT to upgade me to 9900gvw, but even if they don't I'll feel more comfortable carrying the weight. Also the tire info is a tremendous help. I have BFG rugged trail ats 265-70R17 and I wasn't sure if they were good tires or not until I read the positive remarks here. Thanks again and God Bless you all, Ray
You are exactly right, there is a lot of good information on this and most forums. My experience is that there is more good information on this forum than on most forums. However, what all of us need to remember is that there is also a lot of bad information and lots of opinions. The secret is to know which is which.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote