Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Montana_6186

M.O.C. #6186
Maiden Voyage Perfect

Well our trip to Lake Placid and Vermont was great and the trailer was the best part.

The extra space, the way it looked and the king bed were great. The truck did a perfect job towing and hardly sagged in the back end at all.

I do have a couple of questions that you may be able to help us out with though please.

1. The king bed, bed spread. It was like fighting a marlin all night long trying to keep it on top of the bed. We think it may be due to the rounded corners at the bottom but it was a constant fight, any suggestions?

2. The king pin sits way under the nose of the trailer compared to our Outback and I almost found out the hard way that our bikes would not fit behind the cab as they always had. In fact, even truning in parking lots made me nervous that I was going to hit the back of the cab. Has anyone put a longer pin on and can that even be done? I was thinking it may upset the performance of the trailer.

3. The toilet was holding water fine the first week but it won't now. I tried the little flat stick to clean the gasket and that helped but it still all leaks out. Should I take it appart and look at it?

4. Fantastic Fan - really is great but we could not get it to close on its own in a down pour and there was no manual in the package. How does the sensor work on those?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jason.

Jason & Mary-Jane
2 Brittany Spaniels, Ranger & Molly
Proud Owners of a New 3295RK
'04 F250 Lariat Super Crew 6L Turbo Diesle

Montana_6186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Congratulations on your maiden voyage! I'll try to respond to some of your questions....and others will be along with their replies:

1. I also have a king bed with the form fitting bed spread, but I don't use mine. I pull the bed spread over to the other side when I'm in the bed. I use a cozy comforter and I sleep alone. The spread to me is too thin and I need something thicker and softer.

2. I've seen some of the guys replace the original pin and put on an extended pin or a trail-air pin.

3. Try spraying silicone around the toliet seal where the water stands. I did that with my last trailer and it WORKED!

4. The rain sensor should work ONLY if you have it on the "auto" function. Check to see if you had it on the manual function. Otherwise you'll have to manually crank it down when it rains.

Good Luck! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
What a fab report! sounds like a great trip and even better memories

lose the bedspread at night?? personally we lost it all together! I would just go with blankets and take the thing off at night.

longer pin, not sure, sure tho, that the guys will have a lot of feedback on that. thought they went to the shorter one to lessen the stress on the frame?

toilet, wasn't there something about new seals being offered on those?? geeshh, ole brains, leaky, sorta like your toilet! HA HA Check your warranty times, and don't be afraid to call the vendor instead of your dealer.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Jason,

Great news on your first trip. I can address a couple of issues, I have a king size bed on our 2955RL but we didn't experience what you're suggesting. We did find in incredibly uncomfortable and ordered a 4" memory foam topper. The toliet seems to be a known problem that you'd think they would have taken care of by now. We have ours in for our one year warranty fixes and that's one of the things I have on my list. I know you can order a repair kit but it entails taking the toliet off and apart and I don't think I should have to do that if it's under warranty. I've heard others mention the Fantastic Fan not closing but we've had good luck with ours so far.

I'm sure others will be along to address your concerns.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Montana_6186

M.O.C. #6186
Thanks for your responses so far, I will also ask my dealer a couple of these but it's always nice to know what users think.

Jason & Mary-Jane
2 Brittany Spaniels, Ranger & Molly
Proud Owners of a New 3295RK
'04 F250 Lariat Super Crew 6L Turbo Diesle
Montana_6186 is offline   Reply With Quote