Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
iowasnowmobiler

M.O.C. #5967
Pullrite Superglide work w/ F350 SB?

We're new to RVing and are trying to determine what hitch might work well for us? We are interested in the Pullrite Superglide because of the protection provided by the auto slider.

Our 344RET is on order, however our RV dealer had another 344 on the lot with which we backed under with a Pullrite SG 16K hitch set into the back of our TV. With the 5th wheel level, we were only able to get ~5" of clearance between the bottom of the 5th wheel and the bed rails of the TV with the extended pin box set on the lowest adj. We do have an Access tonneau cover on the TV and with the cover rolled to the front of the truck, measure ~1" of height above the bed rails due to the tonneau mounting rails.

We liked the SG "super rails" installation and understand we may get 0.5" additional clearance by installing the extended pins (designed to provde additional height for slide in bed liners). This would give us a total of 5.5" of clearance.

Wondering how much clearance between bed rail and bottom of fifth wheel is acceptable? Curious if others leave their tonneau covers on their TVs or do most remove them? If 5.5" is unacceptable, are there other adjustments people can recommend?

We're excited to get started and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iowasnowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
My advice about optimum clearance is certainly not the best, but I have about 5 inches of clearance on my F-250 with the SuperGlide and the pinbox set on one slot above the lowest adjustment. I do not have the super rails installed, nor a tonneau cover on the bed. So far, in 16 months with the Montana and SuperGlide, I have not run into any problems. That does not mean I will not find clearance problems somewhere in the future, but so far so good.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
We have the PullRite SuperGlide on our Dodge 3500 and we also have the tonneau cover with the usual mounting rails. Our clearance between the rails and the Monty is about 5" at the closest point. If I were to remove the tonneau cover and mounting rails, I would have the recommended 6" of clearance. Like J.D. and Marsha, I am unaware of any situation in the past year where clearance was even close to being a problem. Nonetheless, I have ordered a cover for the PullRite and will be removing the tonneau cover and mounting rails for the RV season as soon as it arrives. Many people think I am crazy for worrying about such small things ... but PullRite recommends 6" for a reason. Maybe it is to sell hitch covers to all of us who have tonneau covers! Anyway, during the RV season, my concern is with keeping the hitch clean and dry. The cover will accomplish that and give me the recommended clearance. I will re-install the tonneau cover after the RV season and before the snow flies.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bill, Marsha bought the SuperGlide cover for me in June 2005 as a birthday present. I have to say that it is well made and still looks new over a year later. It does a very nice job of protecting your investment!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We have a superglide on our 05 F350 pulling a 2955RL. No problems at all.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I have a Superslide mounted in a 3500 Dodge and before I left the dealers lot I had the maintenance people demonstrate the hitch to me by jacknifing the rig, didn't measure the clearance but it didn't hit the truck and that was what I wanted to see. Even if I buy another truck and or trailer I will buy a Pullrite hitch because they are so easy to use and I like the way the hitch pin is surrounded within the locking mechanism, I wouldn't have anything else, worth every penny. Another thing too, Pullrite recommends using the spray lubricant called {Sliplate} and it is far better than the old GREASE that collected dirt so well. Sliplate is a dry lub and is easier to remove when it is time to clean the rails.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I have a pull-rite superglide in my 05 F350 cc sb. I like it a lot. I take my 2980RL where I please and the only thing I have noticed is when I crank it real tight and the ground is extremely unlevel the pin box will hit the plastic cap on my bed rail. I could adjust the box one more notch but then my 5er would not ride level.
This only happens when I am up dry camping in some of gods great elk country. Never ever has happened when in an RV park or camp ground.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Years ago my setup once had just 5 1/2 inches clearance and it made me very nervous. Several times the bedrail kissed the underpanel on the fifthwheel. I personally prefer to have at least 7 inches clearance. Our current setup has 8 1/2. If it were me I'd look to somehow find some more clearance.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote