Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Wet Bolt vs. Never Fail Bushings

Anyone use these? Are you satisfied with them?
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...cts&Itemid=290

What is your preference? Why?
I'm thinking of replacing my wet bolts that came the Monty (when the time comes).

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm never seen bronze bushings look as bad as they show there, nylon ones with no wet bolts yes, but not bronze. Got to figure most manufactors send trailers out with nylon bushings and no wet bolts and expect them to last. So if you got wet bolts with bronze bushings already and give them a lil squirt of grease now and then, they should last forever. If you squirt a little grease in them once a year you should be good to go, they don't take a lot of maintainence. Now if you're bored or having a real problem with the bronze and have to replace them for some reason then give them a try. But I can find other uses for my money then replacing something that is working fine........Just my opinion and 2 cents worth.......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As a lifelong wrench spinner ... I always smile when a manufacturer comes up with advertising that has "never" and "fail" in the same sentence. I too have always had good luck with bronze bushings adequately lubed during their tenure on my equipment.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Gotta agree with dieselman on this. Yawwwwwwwwwwn...not going to loose sleep over this.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I wonder if they're related to the Nev-r-lube wheel bearings?? Read the fine print on the Nev-r-lube "5 years or 100K miles). Maybe the same on the bushings. If you want to spend some money (probably a little more), how about Mor/ryde IS then you only have a few points that need grease every now and then and no bushing, shackles or springs, plus the benefit of a better ride for the Monty.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555
Hmmmm never seen bronze bushings look as bad as they show there, nylon ones with no wet bolts yes, but not bronze.
I agree with steelpony... I would like to know where they got that bushing out of?? I don't see any grease or grease holes in that pic either. Now if if you have the nylon bushings, then, YES, get something else in there and this may or may not be a option for you. But, if you have wet bolts on your rig now then there is no need to look at anything else IMHO. As as a side note, if you have wet bushings, make sure they are installed with the holes the right way and do NOT buy one of those cheap, mini grease guns that take the 6" mini tubes of lube (ask me how I know). You will need a FULL sized greass gun with some OMPH behind it to get grease into the bushings...

~On Edit~ Also, make sure the grease zerks are on the inside of the springs as the wheels make it very difficult to work around.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The industry calls them Sintered Bronze bushings ASTM standard: ASTM B433 Grade 1 Type 2.

I have used them for years. While they are not “ever lasting” they do last a lot longer than plain brass or bronze bushings. They are highly impregnated with lubricant. Recently when reaming some to fit an axel shaft the lubricant would drip off the reamer during the reaming process.

, , ,

The bushing before insertion......................................... .............................................Reami ng process........................................... .......................................Finished

This unit when installed on the machine will not be located where it can be lubricated.The ones they replaced lasted about 30 years.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

As a lifelong wrench spinner ... I always smile when a manufacturer comes up with advertising that has "never" and "fail" in the same sentence. I too have always had good luck with bronze bushings adequately lubed during their tenure on my equipment.
I agree 100%. Keep the wet ones well greased and I'll bet you wear the rest of the trailer out before they need to be replaced.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

The industry calls them Sintered Bronze bushings ASTM standard: ASTM B433 Grade 1 Type 2.

I have used them for years. While they are not “ever lasting” they do last a lot longer than plain brass or bronze bushings. They are highly impregnated with lubricant. Recently when reaming some to fit an axel shaft the lubricant would drip off the reamer during the reaming process.

Phil P

The bushings that come with the wet bolt kits are oil impregnated sintered bronze.

These new-fangled ones are made of "Modified Polyamide". Which I find is kind of funny, because,

.......polyamide is Nylon!

"Modified Polyamide" evidently is Nylon with something in it that self-lubricates and is tougher than regular nylon, I don't know, they don't say what their "magic ingredients" actually are. (I'm guessing maybe graphite or molybdenum) It will be interesting to see actual real world results of these bushings in long-term use, and not just the manufacturers hype of "NeverFail"

I'm with you guys on this one. I'll just stick with my wet bolts, and grease them up a few times per season.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
IMHO, any bushing lubricated, is better than dry and sure to last longer. I'll keep my wet bolts until something is proven better. Owning tow trucks makes you believe in lubricant. I agree with diesel guy, too bad I don't know his name.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:[i]
The bushings that come with the wet bolt kits are oil impregnated sintered bronze.
Hi

The bushings that came with my wet bolt kit from MOR/ryde in early 2010 were not sintered bronze just plain bronze.

There is nothing wrong with lubricating the sintered bronze bushings it just that if you do need to put a bushing / bearing in a place where they can’t be lubricated the sintered bronze or sintered iron is the way to go.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Jay,
Don't force me to e-mail Betty and tell her you are thinking about wasting her hard earned money on fancy bearings. Take care of what you have and they will last.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote