Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Level up / ATF

Delivered our trailer to Pendelton Or. for the 2nd go around with the Frame Flex issue, also mentioned that I have a hydraulic jack leaking as it has been for several months, and the dealer that looked at it before could not find the leak, the service rep at Keystone in Pendleton asked if I had added ATF to the system, like many have added on here to help stop the creaking that goes on from expansion from heat to cold, I said no, he mentioned that the ATF is not good for the Level Up, interesting he said this as mentioned many on here have been instructed to use the ATF by Lippert and Keystone, so what is the correct answer, ATF or Not?

Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
IMHO-As an auto technician for 30+ years, I have seen over and over again-a tech will always look for something to blame that may or may not have anything to do with the cause of a problem.
-You added ATF when you shouldn't have.
-You added the wrong ATF.
-Another tech added ATF when they shouldn't have.
-You used the wrong procedure to add the ATF.
-You didn't bleed the sytem properly.
It can go on and on. Other's at the National Rally can correct me if I'm wrong, but Lippert said ATF was ok.
If ATF is the cause, whay aren't all jacks leaking?
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We mauled this issue to the end of time on Hybridhaulers post in this same section. I strongly agree with BethandKevin ... the pumps, cylinders, hoses, etc are all the same part numbers whether the unit came with clear hyd fluid or ATF. PLEASE read Hybridhaulers post before we start this all over yet again. I work in maintenance at a company that has well over 500 major pieces of equipment besides hundreds more of the lesser equipment. We easily have a 40% failure rate of new and replacement parts nowdays. Manufacturing facilites overseas (and at home) just don't supply quality parts anymore ... that includes cheap hydraulic cylinders.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana3800RE

Delivered our trailer to Pendelton Or. for the 2nd go around with the Frame Flex issue, also mentioned that I have a hydraulic jack leaking as it has been for several months, and the dealer that looked at it before could not find the leak, the service rep at Keystone in Pendleton asked if I had added ATF to the system, like many have added on here to help stop the creaking that goes on from expansion from heat to cold, I said no, he mentioned that the ATF is not good for the Level Up, interesting he said this as mentioned many on here have been instructed to use the ATF by Lippert and Keystone, so what is the correct answer, ATF or Not?
Ron here is a link that might answer your question: It will certainly tell you the service rep knows diddly squat. Note the caution at the bottom of the page.

http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/LI...mmendation.pdf

Regarding the popping, I believe Lippert came out with a service bulliten which recommended the use of an oil that is used in motorcycle forks, I was unable to find the bulliten, but that was not an ATF oil.

Hope the "New" flex fix works out, but I think you and I know better.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
http://www.lippertcomponents.com/ima...ic-Systems.pdf

I was having the popping problem, got a quart of the CAT additive and no more popping.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
IRLP guy had a good point about the ATF call out at the bottom of the PDF file ... but unless you still have some Ford type F tranny fluid around from say the 60's or 70's ... you'll be hard pressed to find any right off the shelf anymore. Most all the cars that used that fluid have been crunched up and are part of something else by now ... save the ones in car shows or your grandma's old Falcon station wagon
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote