Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Black Tank Flush Leak Problem Resolved

As I mentioned in an earlier post, last trip when I turned on the black tank flush I got a floor full of water inside. The antisiphon valve was badly cracked. Although some of you said you had just eliminated the valve, replacing it with a piece of PEX pipe and fittings, I wanted to put it back as it was.
No RV parts stores I could find carried antisiphon valves any thing like it. Finally located the original manufacturer in Sugarland, TX. Could only buy direct from him, so I ordered one.
Rest of the story.
I could not understand how the original valve (clear plastic) could have cracked so bad. Cracks running all thru it. Looked as if it had frozen, But I had run antifreeze thru that line, and the valve is not supposed to hold water anyway. Well after receiving the new valve I now understand. The new valve has a row of tiny cracks all around the perimeter of the valve just under a raised lip near the top. Looks like stress fractures just waiting to start running thru the rest of the body of the valve. Apparently a flaw in the manufacturing process.
So off to Lowe's to get some PEX pipe and fittings to eliminate the valve altogether. I can see where there is a very remote chance under very specific conditions of siphoning black water back thru the line. But it is so highly unlikely I am not concerned about it. I may go back later and add a check valve, but at least for now that problem is solved. Should have listened to you guys in the first place.
And I now have a new opening to get to those fittings.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Glad to hear you have it resolved.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I removed mine before we had any problems. Restaurants are required to have back flow preventers on everything and so they make one that fits on a garden hose outlet. I bought a brass one of those, put it on a small extension hose (the little ones with the springs on them), put quick disconnects on both ends and just snap it in place when I want to flush. No worries about back flow and no cheap plastic valve to leak in the rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Where did you find those, Dick?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Any hardware store will have the backflow preventer for outside faucets
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I forget which fittings I got but just took my valve into Lowe's and the guy there helped me find a couple of fittings to put together to replace it. It all just screwed together and now it is a straight shot, no dang back flow junk that you really don't need to begin with.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote