Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
Trinidad to Pacifica

I hope I put this in the right place this time. We are traveling from Trinidad, CA to Pacifica, CA (San Francisco RV Resort). Should we go 101 south to 1, what I've seen of 101 so far kinda of scares me, or would it be better to cut over to I5 and travel that way. To us it looks easier pulling a fifth wheel to cut over to I5 on 299 and go to San Fran that way. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the great information you have given me to date. I really appreciate it.
P.S. Sorry I put my last post in the wrong forum.

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A better place for this question would have been under the section "Have MOC Will Travel" using the topic "On the Road Again", but if the admins have trouble with this they'll move it for you and let you know about it.

I'll agree with you that I'm like you that towing I-5 into the San Fran area would be better for me since I didn't care about 101 towing (it's got more hills and curves) but both paths are mostly fine and I don't know anything about the 299 hwy! In other words, it's a long way to I-5 using 299 so it adds a long distance and I'm not so sure that if you have to use 299, then you may as well have used 101 and saved lots of miles (and fuel).

I have been on 101 north of Cloverdale (farthest north I've towed from southern California) and while I haven't towed beyond that I have seen many RV/TV tows enroute in both directions. Unless there's something you must see to get to I-5 don't make the tow any longer.

I did not want to tow my fiver through downtown SF using 101 because 101 turns into a skinny 2 lane street right after the GG bridge and for several miles and a couple of turns to get to south SF before it turns back into a freeway. From the 101 I used the 880 and 580 bypasses to stay on Freeways going south and north and not tow through SF. After I unhitched and was driving just the TV, we visited all parts of SF without the trailer, just watch out for short parking structures.

Wait a while and you'll get more experienced answers from others who travel through both these routes and tips on driving around SF. If you haven't been there, SF is one of the most beautiful places to visit!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
We have towed our Monty up and down the 101 without any particular problem. We have also towed the 299. If it were me I'd take the 101 all the way. Normally I would NOT take the 101 over the Golden Gate but since you are headed to Pacifica; I would. There are a couple of places on the 101 that slow you down. But nothing that you can't easily negotiate. Art is correct about the surface streets once you get south of the GG. Typical city driving is what you'll find. Not something I'd recommend but given your destination it is something that makes sense.

Another reason I'd suggest 101 is because it is a bit more scenic than I-5. If you take the 101 --- Ukiah makes a good midway stop. We've stayed there in their county fairgrounds. Nothing special but big spaces on grass and not terribly expensive. Of course that was a few years ago and things may have changed. Travel safely and enjoy! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
Phil: I agree with Dennis. Taking 299 would be about 100 miles out of your way and that 100 miles is curves and 4 passes to cross, even though the highest is 3400 ft. 299 is a pretty drive and then I5 is boring. 101 is a beautiful drive through the redwoods and then once you get near Ukiah it's 4 lanes for the most part as you go on south.

I wouldn't even try to suggest an alternate route around S.F. especdially since your destination is Pacifica.

Warren
The Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
My suggestion is to continue on 101 until you get to San Rafeal. There stay to the right and go over the San Rafeal Bridge towards Richmond, CA. Get on 80 go west to 880 south in Oakland. Now you can either go over the Bay Bridge to San Francisco and take 280 south to San Mateo where you can take 92 west to Half Moon Bay. There you can go north on 1 to Pacifica. Or, you can continue on 880 south towrds Hayward, CA, and take 92 west (Jackson st) and cross over the San Mateo Bridge over the hill on 92 to Half Moon Bay and then go 1 north to Pacifica. When you get on 1 north at Half Moon Bay, go a couple of miles north and stop at Sam's Seafood resturant on the left side of road. Food and atmisphere is terific. Good luck and enjoy the fog there, lol. It gets foggy in that area, so be careful driving. Hope This helps and I got all the turns right. Oh yes, did you stop at the Samoa Cookhouse, great food there too.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Our suggestion would still be 101 South all the way OVER the Golden Gate Bridge....but not THROUGH San Francisco. Once over the GG Bridge, head west through the Presidio, right onto Fulton, left onto Great Highway (also known as Highway 1) to Skyline. You will be avoiding downtown SF all together going that route. An alternative would be 101 South, to San Rafael. 580 east over the Richmond San Rafael Bridge, then South and catch 80 west back over the Bay Bridge. Certainly not as scenic and, I personally, would avoid the maze (read mess) at the east end of the Bay Bridge, at all costs. That is almost always congested and where several freeways converge. Remember, downtown SF is on the east, your destination route is on the west portion of SF. Taking 101 all the way from Trinidad brings you through the beautiful redwoods and vineyards. It's beautiful...and if you are lucky enough to be driving through there in the next couple of weeks, you will smell the fragrant crush. It's crush season in the vineyards!!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Wheelhouse had the best route in my humble opinion. There is no easy way unless you go south to the san mateo bridge and then go north on 280 to Pacifica, but that is way out your way.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Both Marilyn & I are born and raised in SF/Daly City. We tow our rig to visit my Mom to SF RV park in Pacifica all the time and travel the route over the GG Bridge as she described. (I would never head I580 over the Richmond Bridge unless the Golden Gate was closed). Although the other routes suggested will get you there but they are way out of the way and subject to horrible traffic. I would again suggest that Marilyn's route (yamaha_mama) is direct, an easy drive and the least possible amount of traffic.

BTW, the drive down 101 to the Golden Gate is one of the most scenic route you can take. It's through the Redwoods and wine country.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote