Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
DC Inverter Configurations

Ok, New topic...
Here's a wiring configuration I came up with for trips my son (22 year old recent Civil Engineering graduate of Manhattan College) and I to go to Nascar races with all the comforts of home while sitting in an infield of crazy race fans! Alternately, when the Mrs and I go to Assateague Island Nation Seashore its just as comfortable. What this circuit provides is...Battery #1 is main coach power source and circuit allows me to keep it separate, Batteries #2 & #3 can be run separately or together to power my little 750w inverter for DirecTV, VCR, DVD, and 25" TV for many hours as these batteries are Group 27. Marine switches allow separating them or combining them dependant on use or need to recharge.
Reflecting on this...I think I should have (and may change in the future) purchased a larger inverter, wired system to converter cavity, and provided a relay system to switch over when in shore power verses dry camp mode.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool, a 50 amp transfer switch would be the cat's meow.
Don't forget to fuse.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
thanks for the diagram this is my next big project the few questions I have is where to locate the inverter in the coach ? How big of a inverter would you suggest am looking at a 3000 watt inverter but would that discharge the batts faster? I too have installed three batts and would install a fourth if needed. what is a good brand of inverter that won't come back and haunt us later. also where would I find a automatic transfer switch?
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll throw in my 2cents worth,
Go with a 3,000 Watt, you will have power when needed, and don't have to use it all. I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight, (Coleman) you don't need a battery charger, and may not need it enough to get a $1,000 one.
I have a Progressive dynamics automatic 50 amp transfer switch.
Get a good 12 volt shut off switch, a Perko marine one is good. Be sure to fuse it at the battery.
I put my inverter on the forward bulkhead in the basement.
Google 'The 12 volt side of life, part one and two' it will help you immensely.
Ozz
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Ozz,
Hijack? Your the king on this topic... I just shared my version as the ability to keep the coach supplied might be something of interest. In hind-sight I would think it best to locate the inverter either near the AC Distribution panel with the transfer switch to minimize added AC wiring within the coach?
My case was to run three 4awg wires (2 Red and 1 white) to my TV center where I put the marine switches behind a service panel at the bottom. Mounted the Inverter in the shelf I put my DirecTV receiver and have all AC plugs located here. When dry camping I pull the plug out of wall outlet and plug into inverter for devices I am powering.
Primary intent was to get maximum TV time...without loosing coach essentials as one battery is dedicated to keep fridge, etc. up and running. I did find I can run a good 6 - 8 hrs on two Group 27's feeding my little 750w inverter pulls about 6 amps DC running DirecTV and 25" TV... When out side using smaller 13" TV I can be conservative and only draw 4.3 amps.
Ozz, your 3kw inverter does it have a higher DC amp draw due to its higher capacity? I think the next time I go this path I will consider the golf cart batteries...my present setup is because of space issues on the old Fleetwood 5er and these batteries were brand new so the old Monty has to use 'em up.
Chuck
Chuck
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chuck, I think your system is great, and needs no improvement, the G.C. batteries will be fine when your present ones go belly up. Good logical thinking.
Take care.
Ozz
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
thank you both for your input on this as I said I'm going to take on this task very soon so all your help is great help standby for more questions lol I'll be buying the inverter at the end of the month with plans to install then so till then thanks for all your help on this one
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Any time, anything, Tim
Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Your welcome...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Noneck- Just to change the subject again, I bought a new Xantrex Pro 1800 inverter. This one has the built in transfer switch. I need a wiring diagram to hook this up to my main panel. Any ideas?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Jim,
Sorry, no quick answer to this request... I have been RVing (last trip for 2006) so, late response. I just checked your unit out on the web and it is COOL... Appears this unit can be wired into your AC feed....if your unit has a split AC circuit! The 20 amp feed (non-A/C side) would go to this unit then feed to downstream circuits by connecting the existing wiring to the output posts. This is done at the front side of the unit. I would not recommend anyone do this without being comfortable with wiring, design of circuits and such as this can be very dangerous for non-experts in the field. You have the necessary device...you will need to confirm your DC capacity as it will be very "loaded" by a unit of this type.
Maybe Ozz would be a good source to bounce this concern of mine off? He has installed a 3000 watt inverter with transfer switch....uses Golf Cart Batteries to keep it alive!
Chuck
Old 10-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Noneck- Thanks for your reply. I have got an expert, the local Xantrax rep to do the wiring for me. This is beyond me and I don't trust myself to do it on my own. I will let you know how it works. Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Inverter,

Could you elaborate on this or take some pics, since we have the same RV's I would love to know how you did it.

Dave
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote