Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have had Nerf bars and regular running boards on Dodge and Fords. I would never own another truck without them. Not only do they help with the obvious of getting in and out of the truck, but they also, in conjunction with mud flaps, keep all that tar flecks off your vehicle.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #22
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Advantages:
-Easy access/exit to and from truck.
-Look good.

Disadvantages:
-Cost.
-Added weight, reduces tow/cargo capacity.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #23
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Native Tex-
Which did you perfer the Nerf Bar or Running Board?

Thank You everybody for your opinions and experiences,We like hearing it all.

Found the one story about the impact very interesting...never thought running boards could save someone for injury and keep the car damage down...Wow! that would make a great advertisement for a company.

Keep on coming with more information!...
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Those that have them swear by them. Those that don't believe what they have is best. Who wins?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They keep me from taking that "one giant step for Rich" out of the truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 AM   #26
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Like so many that have responded, without boards, Carol cannot get INTO or OUT OF Big Butt (well I could slide out, ewwww, what an ugly sight that would be).

We also have a Ford Econoline Van, 1994 version, conversion type, with boards. No boards, Carol can barely get in.

Yep, they collect snow, so, we sweep it off. No off roading going on here, so that is not a consideration. We have always had the flat type of boards, I am not the most graceful lady ever born, and those round tube types, honestly, just scare the beejeebies out of me. That is a comfort zone item for me, want the flat ones.

Isn't it wonderful, we all get our choices dependent on our life styles and fears! Tis a great thing, choice!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 AM   #27
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have a slightly different slant on off-roading. I used to do it some, and I always thought it would be easier and cheaper to replace the Nerf bar or running board than repair the damage to the truck in the event of a mishap.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't know Scattershot, I've seen a lot of off road guys with the nerf bars smashed up against the door and they are crawling out the window because the door won't open. They just really reduce ground clearance for the serious off roader. However, I doubt any serious off roader drives an F350 anyway, as it don't fit too many places .

Love my boards, and even like the new grab handle Ford put on the drivers side in the new model. I just don't get in an off road situation like I used to, as I know in the back of my mind this truck still has to get me and the Monty home when the weekend is over. If I tear it up, we ain't goin home.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #29
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Went with solid stainless running boards this time after having stainless nerf bars!!. Found excessive stone chipping with the bars compared to my previous boards (non-stainless). The stainless boards are expensive but look so good to me.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #30
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We had running boards in the past but Nerf bars on the last two trucks because that was what was available. However, I look with envy at the new longer nerf bars that have a cantalever extension along the side of the bed so you can stand up and reach into the bed. Now I have to carry a little kitchen step ladder to reach the safety lock on the hitch in Bubba's bed.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave we do also. We had the little extension piece on our other truck but when we had the running boards installed on Brutus the guy talked us out of the extra $100+ because he said they were not safe to stand on.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #32
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I have Rhino Wheel-to-Wheel bars. Great quality, easy install, and strong as the hubs of hell.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #33
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have nerf bar running boards and got the ones that go all the way back which sure makes getting into the tool box a lot easier. Makes it a lot easier to get into the pickup.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #34
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I wanted to say Thank You to all that took the time to offer your opinion and experiences about nerf bars and running boards. After reading and researching I feel I have narrowed down my choices.

One; no nerf bars....we don't travel in the snow, dirt, etc.. We travel on freeways and highways, no snow. Plus my concern is not getting in the truck, but getting out. I don't think I'm graceful enough to balance on the narrow footing provided by the nerf bar. My husband on the other hand is very agile, and can hop and jump anywhere. That is why I have had to look at all that is out there. We both think the nerf bars look pretty nice(awesome) on a pick up, but it's my footing that has me concerned.

Other choices have brought us to the Westins (Sure Grip) or
our favorites are the Luvernes (Mega Steps).
The Luvernes are kool. They resembel the nerf bar look from the side, but the top is flat with a 5" platform.

Difference thou...is about $200.oo between the Westins and Luverne.

Now comes the real work....

Shopping for the best price
Thanks for the internet
Again Thank You to all...you have helped.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #35
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I have the stainless steel type that was factory installed. I had running boards on the last 3 trucks I've own. Wouldn't be without them or a stool But with this truck I had the LED running board lights installed and it's a major improvement. Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #36
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
We have the chrome tube style running boards on our truck. They were suggested by the dealer and they installed for free. They sure make it easier to get in and out and they look pretty good as well. Our running boards extend to the back of the cab. If I had it to again, I think I would get the ones that extend to the front of the rear wheel. This would allow easier access stuff in the front part of the bed.
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote