Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Made the conversion

I have been back and forth on getting a new truck. I like my truck, I dont have to worry about emissions, I dont need to tow more I just want better stability. I had a dually before and loved the control. Well I decided instead of the 45-60K new price tag, I would do the conversion. I'm not done yet, but I'm almost there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_202830.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	9062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_174749.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	9063  

ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Looks good. I have a friend who did the very same thing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looks like a great way to save a lot of money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:32 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a 2014 F350 and was looking into the possibility of the same thing. What all did you have to replace? Is it really just rear end, axle and suspension, or is there more?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Parts

There are two routes you can go, if your not going to tow more. You can go with a company called Arrowcraft. They have been doing these conversions for over 25 years. It is a hub centric adapter. People have different opinions on this. I have done my own research and decided this is the way to go For Me.. I am not towing over my capacity. Price breakdown:
Adapters- $471
Wheels- $700, I have steel wheels 150 per in the inside and aluminum 200 per on the Outs.
Tires- $300
New wheel studs-$200, this was not a have too just peice of mind for me.
Dually fenders $660

Total $2131 (without new wheel studs)

Now breakdown for Axle swap:
Used axle cheapest I found $1K
New pads and rotors $400
Fluid $50
New axle U bolts -$100

Total with all above $3160, without new studs

Now for the all new

New axle housing with axles and rear end, cheapest $3500, that's for my year 2003.

Then add everything else I had up top.

....I did not need any suspension, I have a SRW 3500, it is the same suspension in the DRW3500. Bith upper and lower overloads

I will report back with any issues of they come up
Old 05-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Excellent choice and great looking truck.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Thanks
Old 05-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Complete

Should be good for another 100K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210501_190123.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	9067  
Old 05-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That's interesting. Thanks Chase. When you say there are 2 options, hub centric and ? I assume the other is wheel centric? Also you said if I'm not going to tow more. You mean more weight than I am already? If you didn't gain any weight, is it just the stability of a dually that you were going for with the wider footprint? I had been told it would cost more to convert my truck than to just buy a new one, but I've got a lot of engine work on my 6.7 power stroke and I don't want to start over with that. Plus, mine is single owner and I know how it's been maintained.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #10
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Great question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
That's interesting. Thanks Chase. When you say there are 2 options, hub centric and ? I assume the other is wheel centric? Also you said if I'm not going to tow more. You mean more weight than I am already? If you didn't gain any weight, is it just the stability of a dually that you were going for with the wider footprint? I had been told it would cost more to convert my truck than to just buy a new one, but I've got a lot of engine work on my 6.7 power stroke and I don't want to start over with that. Plus, mine is single owner and I know how it's been maintained.
I to was very interested in what the difference was between hub-centric and alternative. The spacer is made specifically to hug the hub and give a lip for the wheel. Meaning the weight is on the hub, not the wheel studs. A lug-centric, is basically the opposite.

Towing weight: The goal of this conversion is strictly for stability purposes, "a bigger footprint". The conversion does not increase your payload capacity.

I would beg to differ that converting your truck to a dually would cost more than purchasing a truck, especially now. Even if you did not make a great decision and take the muzzle off your engine, increasing the longevity and power. I am just guessing that is what you are suggesting on engine work. Send me a PM I will help you out and give you real prices of parts for your truck, so you can determine yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze. Truck prices will continue to climb for at least another year. A lot of people are not aware that when the pandemic hit, there are a few things that changed in the car industry.

During Covid:
Most states did not allow repossessions to happen, some are still not allowed.

NJ-no repo law still in play to this day, when it is lifted there will still be a 30 day grace period.

what does that mean? Used car prices are through the roof, there are no cars to go to action and actually have used cars to sell.

Not to mention the new truck inventory is on hold due to the computer chip shortage.

I as well have maintained my truck for 100s of thousands of miles and felt that this was better for me. I have roughly 260K on the clock and was averaging 25 mpg on the highway, before the swap The duals will change that but still not bad for an old truck.

Just a little Snapple fact " Diesel engines are roughly 35% more efficient than gasoline engines, gasoline engines are only 30-35% efficient. Over 100 years of having the gasoline engine and we are still only 35% efficient."

I know that was a little long-winded, I just like to give as much info as possible.
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
Old 05-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I don’t get the whole stability issue. I have towed through some very strong crosswinds with my fiver behind a SRW and never felt unstable or unsafe. If there are wind warnings advising against “high profile” vehicles, I would park it anyway; I’ve seen too many blown-over semis and TTs, I wouldn’t chance it. When we park our rig, we go exploring, shopping, dining and visiting relatives; I don’t want the hassle of trying to park or drive in city traffic in a dually, but that’s just me.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
I agree with the question as to how this results in greater stability. We have been towing a fiver since our Dodge Cummins 3/4 was new and only added bags for level and have never had an issue.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I don’t get the whole stability issue. I have towed through some very strong crosswinds with my fiver behind a SRW and never felt unstable or unsafe. If there are wind warnings advising against “high profile” vehicles, I would park it anyway; I’ve seen too many blown-over semis and TTs, I wouldn’t chance it. When we park our rig, we go exploring, shopping, dining and visiting relatives; I don’t want the hassle of trying to park or drive in city traffic in a dually, but that’s just me.
My brother and I pulled my Montana 2955 with my F250 and his 3500 DRW Dmax. Neither one of us could see any difference in the stability. The only difference was my truck had much more power but that was to be expected. My truck was turned and his was stock.
Of course my 2955 was a light 9200 pound camper not the 12000 pound plus units of today.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We love our Dually.. Spent some time in oregon a few weeks ago. We park the truck anywhere a car can park. They even had a touchless car wash that washed the dually..We go thru drive throughs too!...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post

I agree, towed all over the lower 48, (X-OTR) driver, when high winds are present get off the road.

Dually's are difficult in parking, and drive thru wash places.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote