Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Insects,your slides, and stings

Spring has sprung, and bees are out in force.. I noticed a few large "bumblebee's" buzzing around our camper.. Thought nothing of it, but then I was outside sitting and i saw what was going on.. So maybe others have had this happen too , but :
I watched as large bee's ( i know not the species) crawled into the compressible seal tubes that are mounted on our slides. These tubes, are rubber like material and maybe 1/2 " inside dia , are on the backside of the outside of the slide. (sorry) They make a weather seal when the slides are in

With the slides out, they make a perfect place for bee's, insects, etc to find a place to hide, breed and build nests..

Just a FYI.. Im going to spray some residual type insecticide in the tubes (only on top and sides with our unit) as can't block them off permanently as they have to collapse when the slides go in..

If anyone has better solutions, let me know

Thanks

Old 04-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I cut small pieces of foam weather strip in put them in the seals, as my slides are open 99% of the time. and they compress if and when i have to close them.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If they look like bumble bees but are all black they are wood boring bees and will hollow out homes in any wood they can get too.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
joe direnzi
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20983
This is the time of year for wood boaring bees in nj
joe direnzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Carpenter bees here in Pa too! OUCH.. Get a good tennis racket and fire up your swing, that is about all that works for the darned things.
It kind of helps get some exercise also, but, when traffic goes by and they see the maniac just a swingin at the air, you do get some sweet looks! LOL
Sorry I kind of went off topic, but the weather strip cut small then inserted in the ends does really work well. Fun noodles are cheap and easy to compress when needed!
Good luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Get one of those plastic stringy mesh dish scrub pads and cut off small pieces and stuff some in each end. I did that to my fridge drain tube to keep inserts out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote