Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #21
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Boaters use small wood stoves, mostly found in sailboats. I don't think I'd use one in an RV for the reasons already stated, and you can't keep your underbelly warm.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #22
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Heating camper in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVSkeptic View Post
Hi. Just doing the research right now into staying warm living full-time in a cold-weather climate (I do need to plan for freezing temps outside, but don't expect prolonged deep-freeze conditions).

Has anyone installed a wood stove in their Montana to use as a source of heat when boon-docking in cold weather climates?

I hear stories of chewing thru a tank of propane every couple of days running the furnace.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of running a 1500w ceramic heater using a solar power source (ie. not plugged into shore power). Also not sure how much power I'd chew thru if using the 12v heating pads on all 3 holding tanks.

Can I run just the furnace fan (but not the furnace) to keep air circulating throughout the entire trailer and underbelly assuming I have a different source of heat to the propane furnace?

If I can keep heated air circulating to all of the important places without using the furnace, why not use a wood stove? Like a KIMBERLY or KATYDID.

I'm having some trouble deciding what the best off-grid solution is going to be for keeping warm in colder climates. The assumption being that I won't necessarily want to head south where the weather's warmer.

Your thoughts, ideas, and experiences are most welcome.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
WE use two electric heaters in the living kitchen area. Then we turn the furnace on and set the thermostat at 65 degrees. It keeps the camper camper nice and warm. Of course we use the 50 amp service to supply the power snf we save on the propane. Pull the water hose inside the camper to keep it from freezing.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Just go to Lowe's and buy one or two 100lb propane tanks. Much more cost effective.

I assume you have gen or solar as the furnace will run often and blower will consume elec.

Also installing wood stove and accompanying chimney and air intake will make your rig virtually unsaleable in the future.

I've heated with wood at home for decades and can't see it as practical in a fiver.

We currently winter in ours and temps in NW Ga often go below freezing. We have done fine with one 100lb tank although we have shore power.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote