Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Decals.

Has anyone had any problems with their Decals shrinking and curling up along the edges? I have a 3400RL "05" model and after a couple of years of use it has started doing this. It sure seems that these decals should last longer than this. I would appreciate any comments on anyone's experiences with these decals.
Thanks.

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Don't waste your time calling Team Montana. I called with the same problem and was told I could order a new set from dealer, of course at my expense. So we have decided to let the decals chip, & fall off as they may. And when most off then we will go "white" no free advertising. Doesn't say much for Montana quality.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Gary,

Start with your dealer. If he won't do anything then try Team Montana. They MAY not help but it certainly would not hurt to try. If they say no then do a search here on MOC for threads about decals. A few months ago D and M on the road did some research and found a place that will be able to help.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Some have had better luck than others with Team Montana. Guess it's all in the approach.

The dry weather and altitude here (closer to the sun) really takes it's toll on the decals. They shrink, peal, and roll, as well as the trim and plastic inserts turn yellow. I actually had more trouble with the melting snow rolling down the decals from the top. They are not a very thick mil vinyl.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had mentioned it to a "service tech" and was told "yeah, I know, it seems that decals run in batches or are supplied by different vendors and the quality isn't always what it should be." When I asked what is one to do, he suggested that I look for a speciality shop that makes decals and that the quality would be much better from them then from Montana. I can't even imagine what the after market cost for making the decals would be. Again, it seems that only 4 years life out of the decals is sub-standard.
Brad, I'm glad you brought up the white trim inserts that turn yellow, mine have all done this and I was told by a dealer that had I applied a protectant on this insert, they would have stayed white. I was never told this or have never seen it mentioned in the owners manual either.
After my experience with these poor quality decals, I would rather have them painted instead. I wonder if this will be a option down the road.
As this Montana is our first experience with a RV, we are certainly learning what we do and don't like after a couple of years experience.
I'll attempt to make contact to Montana, but I believe it will be a waste of time. As the decals become more ragged and chipped, I guess it will be a good advertisement for Montana when other Rver's see what a short time it took to get to this condition.
Thanks everyone.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
Contact Team Montana, they sent me replacement decals for my 07. They have replaced others also. They won't pay the labor to intall the decals you will have to take care of that yourself. I just sent an email with pictures and the vin number with a request for replacement decals.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I am pretty sure it depend on how old the Montana is. Ours is an 05 and when we called them they said because of the age they would only replace the front after a pic was sent. Our front does not look bad but one of our sides does. They will only replace the front. So good luck. And also no $$$ towards the labor to remove or put it on. We also are very frustrated with the graphics. You can look at older RV's from other mfg. and they look better than Montana's that are relatively new.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

Has anyone had any problems with their Decals shrinking and curling up along the edges? I have a 3400RL "05" model and after a couple of years of use it has started doing this. It sure seems that these decals should last longer than this. I would appreciate any comments on anyone's experiences with these decals.
Thanks.
I know you're looking for answers to Decals shrinking and curling and I can't help you. I'm only commenting because our rig is over eight years old and our decals, though showing age, have not shrunk or curled on the edges. My feeling is that when Keystone originally obtained their decals (from wherever they got them) the decal company must have used a different type of adhesive. Or else they changed companies and are getting an inferior product from the decal company.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will only mention this for what it's worth. There is a graphics shop in Apache Junction Arizona with a web site called www.dontdriveugly.com. They did the graphics for my truck and matched the colors from the Montana. They do repairs, new installs and complete redos. I Feel they use a higher quality graphic than what I have seen on the trailers. They recommend using 303 or protectall as a finish for the vehicle/trailer. You may want to contact them about redoing yours......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Burlington Graphics and its reprepsentative Matt Hostetler gave a presentation at the Fall Rally in Goshen IN. I don't have specific info or contact for you but here is the internet site that may help. As a suggestion, you could call the company and ask for Mr. Hostetler and see what assistance he could provide with your circumstance. Good Luck. Dennis

www.burlingtongraphics.com
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. I will try contacting Keystone/Montana and send them pictures of the decals and see what they say. I sincerely believe I had been given inferior decals from the start, but haven't any proof of it, because it takes a while to show up and by that time, the waranty is gone.
Thanks again for the input everyone.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As mail2us stated the individual you want to talk to is Brad Hostetler at Burlington Graphics (BGS).
He freely passed out his business card at the MOC Fall Rally so I doubt he would mind me posting these numbers..
Office 262-554-8808
Fax 262-554-8586
Mobile 574-361-0574
Brad is a great guy and I am sure he will help you out.
Have the year and model of your Montana handy as he can match most any years graphics.

Burlington Graphic Systems, Inc
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks Glen and Lorraine so much for the numbers. This information is so helpful to us.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
We have a 2005 3400RL too and our decals are shrinking and peeling, especially the front cap decal.

The advise from Keystone customer service was to use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove them. They didn't offer to send any to replace them.

So if you see a Montana with a large bear decal, from Forest River's Cedar Creek Silverback on the front cap, that's us.

Our son-in-law is surprising Jim with the decal for Christmas. After it's installed I'm sending a picture to Keystone. Maybe they will use better decals in the future!!
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We thus far have had no problems with our 06 3400 graphics and they have been subjected to Az aand Florida elements as well as Northern Ohio Snow, Ice, Etc. They have suffered road, tree and bug damage along the way. The seminar given at the fall rally was very educational as to the difficulty in producing a graphic that will not fail as well as the care and Maint of the graphics. I do not remember what I complained about to BG at the rally but I am always complaining about something. Anyhow our neighbors in Ohio said that UPS delivered a Box from BG to them for us..I guess whatever I complained about is in that box.They will send it to Florida...Surprise, surprise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Our graphics are pealing a little each year. As a matter of fact they were pealing when we bought the unit. They curl up and flake off about a quarter inch a year around the edges. Once they are curled up along the edges I help them along in the flaking process by removing the excess along the edges.

I tried to get pricing from a graphic co. and it appears they dropped the ball on me. I haven’t been contacted back the last two times I tried to contact them. I’ll just keep letting them peal back because there isn’t anything to stop it anyway.

I may look into a mural or two or even an air brush graphic depending on the cost later on. There are a lot of nice murals available online and they look like some of them may be decently priced. The good side of it is that it’s only a cosmetic thing and it doesn’t cause any leaks or harm other than looks.

Basically, I’ve learned to live with it!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
It must be all in the approach, or who you get on the phone at keystone.
I called once, explained what was happening to my decals. She had me email 2 pictures. Didn't hear from her for about 2 weeks. Then I got 5 boxes of decals on the front porch. No charge. Just have to put them on in the spring. Didn't need all of them.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Also depends on how many leftovers are in the warehouses.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I also called Keystone and they had me e-mail pics of my decals. They sent them to me pronto. My Monty is an 06.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montana replaced ours but only after some discussion. At the time, ours was way too new to have peeling decals. I'm not so sure they'd cover it now, given ours is now 2 1/2 model years old. They have to have some point at which an implied warranty ends. I just do not know what that point is. But I'd guess a 2005 model is beyond that point as likely is our 2007.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote