Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Slide leak repair on long slide 3400RL

My super slide has been leaking bad when it rains from that side, and heavy wind driven rain. I checked with my dealer's service manager.....well, I figured I better fix it.
As long as my repair doesn't require removal of that slide and a rebuild; (It sags in the middle a little)
So, I examined the slide roof at the inside of the roofing as it butts up to the inside flange.
I found gaps where the water seeps in, so I caulked it. This may fix my problem. If any of you have this gap, you might seal it before it does leak all over your heads on the sofa. Pics:
Slide leak repair:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1426.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1406.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1411.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1412.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1416.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1417.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1421.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1424.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Does it leak when the slide is in or out...or both?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just out, in heavy rain.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Nice repair job Ozz. Looks like the workman wasn't feeling to good that day?!?! Old World Craftsmen?
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You know I am just guessing on this, but it looks like that was the problem area. Cat 320 has me wondering about the outboard side, I will look into that. I could be on the wrong track, but I don't think so.
Ozz
Old 04-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I just checked, they have started installing a strip of roofing over the outboard screws with the strip holding the roofing on, very nice job. It shouldn't be leaking there. I think I sealed the only place where water could be coming through.
I will give it a water sprinkler test, and we shall see.........................
Old 04-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Ozz,

The other day I was looking at the top outer edge of the large slide, on our less than two week old 3400RL, and I found a gap under the seam tape. I was looking because of the report of leaks you guys have reported on this forum. I used some Dicor caulk to plug it up. I will have to check the inside seam where you found gaps tomorrow and fix them if I find any. Does you seam tape on the outer edge of the slide roof have a plastic cover on it? I assumed that the seam tape should have the same surface as the rubber roof.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are correct about the plastic covering, a thin flexible plastic, but it is sealed, looks like the rubber a little.
They should have embedded the metal strip in a sealer, then screwed it in. That was the way my inboard seam and metal strip was, it seemed to be sealed well. They probably found that the plastic sealed better over the metal; I guess...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I had the same problem with the tape on our 3400 not even a month after it was built. Had a bad storm and everything in the cupboards on the superslide got wet. Called Team Montana and they sent me to a dealer in North TX to have repairs made. The service manager knew exactly what the problem was. He retaped all the outer slide seams over the top of the original tape said that those gaps was where my water was coming in. The tape they used to repair the leaks is much heavier, around 4 inches wide covering more of the roof and into the metal corner of the outer edge of the slide.

For everyone that has a unit under warranty still you may want to check out that tape. Not all units are having a problem but the problem can appear after time. The service manager has brought this problem up with Keystone and has found that once the original tape gets wet the glue actually releases making the problem worse over time. The warranty cost to repair was around $300.00 as the replacement tape is very expensive. Keystone is aware of this problem but have not corrected it yet to my knowledge. I would not try to fix this problem myself unless it needed imediate attention. Take it back to the dealer and tell them what the problem is and how to fix it right as some may not understand.

Ozz, thanks for the heads up in the inner slide leak as now that one has become a problem. Can't wait to get this darn slide leak fixed for good. The rest of the rig has been great no problems at all.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Due to reports on the forum we did check our main slide. The seal looked like the first Ozz picture and there was a slight sag. We never had a leak because we have the toppers..The sag was a item on our service center repair list...here is what they did..from the work order........Installed new ficia backing on top of Main slide out that was sagging. The seal looks as if it was also replaced. They also mentioned something aboutt re enforcing the slide???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

I can understand and see how the water is leaking into that strip, but now that it is sealed, where will the water go? Down the side? I'm just not sure any water should be getting past the outer black rubber seal.

As far as the exterior roofing strip on the slides, the tape Keystone is using seams to seal OK, but it pops up where it is laid over the screws. I did the dicor caulk along the tape where it butts up against the end of the slide. Just did it as a preventative measure, as we haven't been in the rain yet.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My slide is bowed in the middle, there is a gap in the rubber seal.....fun stuff.
I will probably have to address the outer seal-seam.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Another area in which the old world craftsmen have come up short are the screws under the strip that has not been sealed. According to the dealer that fixed our leak, even if the strip leaks, the water should still not be able to get into the rig if each individual screw is sealed...as it is suppose to be.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
filly2
Established Member

M.O.C. #6558
Has anyone had a leak under the closet between the bed and shower. It seems that everytime that it rains and blows, water is on the floor right there and the carpet is wet. Looked outside, but cannot find anything where it even looks like it is leaking. Any idea's. Have a 2007 3475RL.
filly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by filly2

Has anyone had a leak under the closet between the bed and shower. It seems that everytime that it rains and blows, water is on the floor right there and the carpet is wet. Looked outside, but cannot find anything where it even looks like it is leaking. Any idea's. Have a 2007 3475RL.
No, I am not aware of any there,
You should post this under your question header in order to get a proper response, maybe someone will help out seeing your question about another area.
It does sound like a similar problem, you might check the roof, where I addressed mine on the super slide ans well as the outboard seam.
Good luck with this leak, and welcome to the Forum.
Ozz
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I just checked, they have started installing a strip of roofing over the outboard screws with the strip holding the roofing on, very nice job. It shouldn't be leaking there. I think I sealed the only place where water could be coming through.
I will give it a water sprinkler test, and we shall see.........................
If I understand you correctly, we had a leak around that same area while in south TX. The strip that seals that outer slide roof is ruffled up in a few places, and when I pressed on those areas, water came out. I sealed the area with the Dicor sealant, and intend to get it in to my dealer in the next week or so. I might add that this was on our bedroom slide, and upon checking the living/dining slide, it looks fine. The slide toppers are a PITA in the wind, but I hate to think how much water we might have taken on if they were not there.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, it would have been collecting in pans on the floor....just like mine was.
I think I will get that (Dicor?) rubber roofing sealant and squeege it over that seam like you did. Nothing will get through that, it will be cheaper than that seal tape.
And I have ZERO confidence that my dealer's repair shop will deal with the problem to my satisfaction. I could be wrong, but I'll feel better repairing it myself.
Ozz
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think I will get that (Dicor?) rubber roofing sealant and squeege it over that seam like you did. Nothing will get through that, it will be cheaper than that seal tape.
And I have ZERO confidence that my dealer's repair shop will deal with the problem to my satisfaction. I could be wrong, but I'll feel better repairing it myself.
Ozz
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozz
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozz