Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #41
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
I installed the 5500 lb Onan. Works like a charm. Two things that surprised me. 1-it has an auto shut off if there is too much or too little oil. It's hard to tell if it's enough because the dipstick view area is misleading. 2-It will start if your propane is low, but if it is too low the pressure lessens and the propane won't make it to the generator --- shut down. I took quite a while figuring that one out. Other than that, ours works great, for hours on end. We've been at several parks where the power goes off for several hours/days and i just push a button and it fires up!

Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #42
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
hemiallen........curious where you boondock as we feel constrained with a 41 ft fifth wheel trailer? We reserved 2 nights at a Harvest Host winery in Paso Robles this month, where they have room for our trailer, and will boondock for the first time. We thought if we like boondocking at Harvest Host locations (wineries and golf courses) with enough room for our trailer a gen set would be handy.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you have a GPS with BLM land on it you can boondock almost any where you are on BLM land. I boondock in the Shirley Basin. It’s about 70 miles north of Laramie. There is 440,000 acres there. Google Shirley Basin and you should find an abandoned trailer park. It’s easy to access and you can see for miles but it is boondocken. My favorite place is Union Pass. It’s about 10 miles north of Dubois. Great trout fishing and all the big game species in Wyoming up there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #44
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Problem solved............purchased a Champion 2500 watt propane or gasoline generator/inverter for $587 from Lowes on-line and it arrive in a few days in time for boondocking 2 nights at Tobin James Winery in Paso Robles, California (Harvest Host site with a HUGH RV parking lot more than big enough to park our 41 ft fifth wheel trailer without overhead obstructions or tight curves to negotiate). Weighs only 39 lbs vs. Honda 2000 that weighs 55 lbs with gasoline. Glad the dealer was unable to source the Onan 5500 LP RV generator. Now we can try boondocking to see how we like it with all our modern conveniences and satellite tv antenna. That unit would even work nicely on a boat.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...rter+generator
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote