Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
RonC

M.O.C. #28801
Tire Pressure sensor that talks to Ford system

I am looking for the tire pressure sending device for my trailer tires that will talk to my 2021 Ford F350 system. Any input appreciated.

RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
Mcm30114

M.O.C. #26990
Ford SuperDuty TPMS systems

I had a 2019 F350 SRW KR and it came with a backup camera / TPMS hardwire system. I installed that on a Keystone Passport and it worked well. TPMS readings on the console of the truck was both the truck itself and the 5 tires (4 on the ground, one spare). Of note, the Backup camera would only work when truly in "backup mode". Camera was passable, but never had RF connection problems.

I then upgraded the TT to a MHC (385BR) and upgraded the truck to a 2020 F350 DRW Platinum Trim. What came with the 2020 was a "sway sensor" that is mounted on the 5th wheel pin box. The In-Bed connectors have the typical 7-pin power / brake connector, but no mention of the TPMS / Backup camera option.

I would try to talk with the Ford folks first (dealerships and Internet forums) to get an idea if it would work at all. I would suspect that if it potentially did, you would be looking at a hardware harness, a sending unit that is attached to the underbelly close to the wheels, and ford specified sensors.

I currently use the TST TPMS system on the trailer, with the flow-through sensors on the stems. Given the higher tire pressure in the MHC tires (110 PSI max), it is imperative to use metal stems for the valves.

I will say that in both systems, there appears to be significant delay in the relay and update of the TPMS data back to the TST or from the Ford Standard issue truck tires back to the truck -- enough to where it is a RELATIVE indicator of tire pressure and temperature (Temp only in the TST sensors) and you could be potentially having a blow out event, and either of the monitors would not trigger until way after the event happened.

TLDR - Talk with Ford to see what the options are, see if they will work in the higher pressure trailer tires.
Mcm30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I am looking for the tire pressure sending device for my trailer tires that will talk to my 2021 Ford F350 system. Any input appreciated.
I am pretty sure you have to buy the Ford TPMS along with the harness. They are not wireless. The harness plugs into your truck near the in-bed trailer socket. I'm not sure if all trucks come with both sockets; if not, it may be something you have to install. The harness then runs the length of your trailer; it has sensors built into it that will pick up the TPMS units on the tires. The harness can do double duty; connecting to the Ford backup camera if you also install that on the back of your trailer. The trailer back up camera will then appear on your screen just like the other cameras; but, like the other cameras, will only work at slow speeds. This information comes from research I did for my 2019; not sure it is the same with your 2021. Here are some part numbers; you will have to find the 2021 part numbers.

https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com...8aAm3oEALw_wcB

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...c0OTAtSg%3D%3D
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure sending unit, tpms ford