Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Everyone is talking about using airbags to raise the truck. My 2006 needed bags because it squatted about 3 inches when loaded. I got a 2012 (another Silverado) and it barely moves when hitched. I don't need airbags, I need the trailer raised. Of course I only have about 2500 lb. pin weight. I think I am about 1 inch nose high on the trailer. I have around 6 inches space to the truck bed. I haven't noticed a problem being a bit nose high.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Everyone is talking about using airbags to raise the truck. My 2006 needed bags because it squatted about 3 inches when loaded. I got a 2012 (another Silverado) and it barely moves when hitched. I don't need airbags, I need the trailer raised. Of course I only have about 2500 lb. pin weight. I think I am about 1 inch nose high on the trailer. I have around 6 inches space to the truck bed. I haven't noticed a problem being a bit nose high.
I don't think I would worry too much about one in nose High. Raising the trailer correctly is not an easy task. You'd have to remove the suspension /cut the hangers off /weld tube steel to the frame /then weld the hangers back on to the tube steel then reinstall the suspension.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
... Also, if you stop somewhere to sleep, you want to be somewhat level. Of course, you also want to look good .
We are not full timers, pulling all over the country, but if we were, the part about being level to sleep is spot on!! It's not an issue with the hydraulic levelers in our Montana, but in our previous 5er, I had to relevel more than once, because I couldn't stand how out of level we were when I was trying to sleep. Obviously you wouldn't want to put down the jacks in a parking lot, so you need to be as level as possible. It never bothers the DW though.

And, the looking cool part, well, that just depends on your definition of "cool". Stock truck, leveled is much more cool, than a jacked up truck with the 5er nose high, or the entire 5er on 6" blocks to get everything back level. As with anything, YMMV...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
The OP said he was new to FWs. Telling him he's overthinking it doesn't help. While the truck and trailer don't have to be perfectly level, they should be as close as possible, otherwise headlights may be aimed too high, and/or the trailer weight will not be equal on the axles.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #25
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
My 5th wheel is currently having some service work done to it so is not available to me. The reason I started this thread is because I did have a few vehicles flash me as I was going by, making me think the truck is squatting a little too much. I think I’ve seen enough suggestions here that will provide a good solution. Whe I get my 5ver back I will measure and go from there.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #26
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
LOL, agree.

So, how much is good enough? Within 1" of level? Within 2"-3"?

I've got a lot of miles over a lot of years, but it's not something I've ever stressed over; maybe I should

Brad
No, you shouldn't. There are more important things to worry about!
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
There is nothing in life you should over stress about. However if you're going to be towing a large 5th wheel down the road I would put the suspension and tires at the top of the list if you wanted to worry about something. If a tire blows or a suspension Part brakes because you are Towing nose high putting extra weight on one axle as opposed to the other, that will stop you in your tracks and ruin your trip stuck on the side of the road for hours.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #28
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for leveling for sleeping, we don't have levelers, so we use the triangle ramps. My wife has done this so much she knows how many bubbles (on level) we can handle with the ramps. I also have 2x8s if I need to raise the whole trailer to level it front to back. If we get to within 1 bubble it isn't too bad - just need it so I don't roll onto the floor! LOL
This all is for when we stay hooked up. Unhitched we can level with the front landing gear.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #29
captian jack

M.O.C. #27433
level up towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
I am new to this forum and new to 5th wheels. Recently purchases our 2013 3582RL. I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie with a Reese 16K slider hitch.

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how do I check to see if the truck and trailer are level when hooked up. If it isn't level, what is the best way to get it level. Any help is appreciated. If this is addressed in another thread, I apologize.
There is a way to adjust the pin box on your trailer and some hitches also are adjustable, I have a slide hitch Champion 20k for sale for 900.00 it was used six times this year till I forgot to slide it back and trailer went through my back window when putting it in storage if you know someone looking for one
captian jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #30
carty80120
Established Member

M.O.C. #13914
Welcome to the Montana group!

We have the exact year & model Montana as you.....love it so much!! We also have a 2006 GMC dually truck.....my husband installed airbags on the truck so, he can level us out (if needed) so, not sure about a 2012 RAM truck! We also have an external diesel tank in the bed too! Hope someone else can help you more....just wanted to welcome you and hope to see you at the annual MOC rally next year (if it's a go)!!!

Safe Travels, Marlene & Chris
carty80120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #31
RETCHIEF
Established Member

M.O.C. #23886
I love the Timbrens I put on my Ram 3500. I had a case of loaded squat and it has really decreased. They also lessen the side to side rocking on country roads. The trailer isn't level, but close enough. No sway and semis don't blast me, so it must be OK.
2017 Ram 3500
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #32
Fineline

M.O.C. #27072
I had the same issue with my F250 back of truck seemed a little low installed air bag with about 30 lbs and leveled the truck right 376RL trailer
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #33
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have been using timbrens on every truck I've had for the last 10 plus years they work well
I use Tim tens as well. My F250 hardly compresses.
SEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tire wear on the RV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #35
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
I think we are being to sensitive. Level is important but that has to do with weight distribution, the ability of the truck to manage the trailer and the operation of the refrigerator. Put the rig on flat ground, stand back look. If it is satisfactory to you, you are there. Most pin boxes and hitches have adjustments but NEVER ALLOW LESS THAT FIVE INCHES BETWEEN THE TRAILER OVERHANG AND THE TRUCK BED SIDES. Axles can be adjusted if needed.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinbaja View Post
I think we are being to sensitive. Level is important but that has to do with weight distribution, the ability of the truck to manage the trailer and the operation of the refrigerator. Put the rig on flat ground, stand back look. If it is satisfactory to you, you are there. Most pin boxes and hitches have adjustments but NEVER ALLOW LESS THAT FIVE INCHES BETWEEN THE TRAILER OVERHANG AND THE TRUCK BED SIDES. Axles can be adjusted if needed.
Axel's can be adjusted? Not for height that can't. Short of cutting the hangers off and welding steel between them and the frame