Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
route from West Yellowstone to Goshan

Hello Everyone, My husband and I are planning a trip our house in CA to West Yellowstone but we now need suggestions about best route and campgrounds from West Yellowstone to Goshen for the rally. Any suggestion would be helpful and we hope to meet a lot of you at the rally.
Thanks for everything.
Terri

piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
A couple of caveats first. How long do you want to take to get to Goshen and what sights do you want to see along the way.
My first thought is not to drive through Yellowstone with your RV. I've seen others do it but for me, there is too much going on and you need to concentrate on your driving. Others may disagree but that's just me.
I would either drive north to catch I90 east or drive south to catch I80 east.
A plus for I90 is Rapid City and the Badlands. A plus for I80 is it takes you straight to Goshen. I have travelled both routes and there is plenty to see and do on either route.
I hesitate to make campground recommendations because what may be fine for me may be miserable for you. Plus cost is always a factor. For me, the campground is not the destination, the trip is. The campground is just a place to park, shower and sleep before exploring the area.
There are multitudes of resources, including others on this forum, to help in choosing campgrounds. Allstays, Good Sam, KOA, Woodall are just some. Even a Google search of "campgrounds near ..." works.
What ever you choose, have fun and safe travels.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I would take I90 and spend some time in rapid city SD. Lots to see within 50 miles of here. We just spent 2 weeks there. We stayed at ellsworth AFB. $25 a night, full hookup. You must book it well in advance. They fill up fast. Devils tower, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, crazy horse, wind cave, minuteman missile silo, and many more.
I have read, avoid highway 14 Wyoming, bear claw? Beautiful view, very crooked switch back.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Also near Mount Rushmore is the Needles Highway. Very scenic. DO NOT take your trailer on that road. There are a couple of rock cuts that were pretty narrow.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I second that!!!!! There is a sign on the road that says NO RVs PAST THIS POINT. on the local tourist map in the legend the tunnels are marked. 9'4" high, 8'6" wide. We were driving a duley. My DW and I had to wait for oncoming traffic to stop. Then we had our heads out the windows making sure the back fenders cleared!!! After we got through the first tunnel I told DW "get us off this road".
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
thank you

Thank you all for the suggestions. We are very new to RVing out of state. My husband likes to enjoy the ride also and if he had to worry about a narrow windy road with low hanging trees, he would be very stressed out. We want to enjoy the experience and minimize the hazards. Thank you again. This group is so helpful.
Terri of TerriandSteve
piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have traveled all over Wyoming numerous times and also quite a few thru SD. First, if speed is the main desire, take I90 to the Sheridan area, then S. on I25 (I think it is) and catch I80 and straight to Goshen (pretty much).
As to thru Wy., US 14A is NOT for the faint of heart. It has 10 miles of 10% grade and 8 miles of 8% grade. However, I don't think US 14 is bad. As I said, I have probably taken 14 3-4 times in the last 13 years, so I am kind of used to it.
If you want to see sites, go ahead thru Yellowstone (I have also done that a lot) and over the Big Horns on US 14 or 16. Then you can head east and see Devils Tower, and finally Rapid City, etc al.

The key for mountainous driving is use low gears and not the brakes. If you have a newer truck and it has an exhaust brake, it is wonderful on down hills. I just came over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado today and from the top down (Summit of >10,000) I never used the brakes except when the speed limit lowered for a curve or something.
Have fun and I will see you at the Rally!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Terri, we go thru SD every fall to go bird hunting, and then on to Elkhart for Thanksgiving. We live just west of Jackson Hole. I’ve went to West Yellowstone and on to Bozeman but is a longer way for us. Also have went thru Yellowstone to the east exit many times if they are still open. The drive from east Yellowstone to Cody is really nice. You have to pick your route from there to Gillette. But I like 90 a lot better and will run it to 94/39. 39 south to 80. Do Not take 94 to 80/90 in Chicago. It is way costly with tolls. Then you can run 80/90 all the way to the Bristol exit and take 15 south to goshen. I think Daryl is talking about Beartooth Hiway out of the Northeast exit at Cooke city. Don’t go with fiver. Spearfish sd has a nice campground.. city fish hatchery. Plankington, white lake, Salem all have decent campsites nothing special. Wall sd has a couple. The one closest to downtown we have used a couple times. Good luck and enjoy.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote