Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Fantastic Fans (Really)

We have a 2020 Montana 3121RL and our most recent trip brought with it two new problems!

First our Montana is a bit taller than our old Heartland Greystone which created a huge problem when we stopped at a gas station we have used for years because it is easy in and out huge lot. However the canopy was only 12'6" high our new Montana is 13'3", hence the need for a new front bedroom A/C

Also neither fantastic fan will open. The one in the bathroom nor the one in the kitchen area will open. Both fans will run and vary speed, but will not open. Back to the dealer again!!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Double check your height when hitched.
Ours is 13' 4" when hitched. Our truck squats just a bit when it takes the pin weight.
For the fan, go up on the roof and Try pulling up on the lid while someone presses the on button.
Once you get it open lubricate the seal with a little silicon grease so it won't stick.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #3
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
I agree with Daryl, these fans have small motors and the lids can get jammed.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Do you actually have Fantastic fans or MAXair? Maxair(sp) fans have an unfortunate history of gearbox failure. The manufacturer MAY replace the gearboxes at no cost though they charged me $25

Then as noted, both Fantastic and Maxair hatches will occasionally stick closed. You may need to manually unstick them then clean and silicone the gasket and vent rim.

Either brand is generally a good product though Fantastic seems to have suffered a "cost improvement" decline after it was sold to Dometic
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
gubs i see you are from glendale az i am north and east of you in new river. what dealer do you use out here? i have had mine in at little dealers on deer valley and i17 a while back for warranty work just wondering sorry to hear about your ac but nothing is done on purpose. good luck
al meyer
3931fb az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
They're just stuck. Open manually while assisting them. Hopefully you haven't stripped the lift mechanism.
If so, you can get new ones.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Randu
Established Member

M.O.C. #28798
Montana uses Maxxfans and lids will stick if not used often. Turn the manual crank slowly and increase pressure slowly until lid opens. Then go on roof with some baby powder and lightly rub down seals. That will solve sticking for next 6 months to a year. Lift moter dont have the torque to overcome the sticking seals.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
We have a 2020 Montana 3121RL and our most recent trip brought with it two new problems!

First our Montana is a bit taller than our old Heartland Greystone which created a huge problem when we stopped at a gas station we have used for years because it is easy in and out huge lot. However the canopy was only 12'6" high our new Montana is 13'3", hence the need for a new front bedroom A/C

Also neither fantastic fan will open. The one in the bathroom nor the one in the kitchen area will open. Both fans will run and vary speed, but will not open. Back to the dealer again!!!!
OUCH, experience says always assume you need 13'6" then you will be ok. If the Fantastic fans are original, they may be done, the cover raising gear is very poorly designed. I have replace both of ours and next spring will attempt to R&R the gear box to extend the life.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Silicone Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Do you actually have Fantastic fans or MAXair? Maxair(sp) fans have an unfortunate history of gearbox failure. The manufacturer MAY replace the gearboxes at no cost though they charged me $25

Then as noted, both Fantastic and Maxair hatches will occasionally stick closed. You may need to manually unstick them then clean and silicone the gasket and vent rim.

Either brand is generally a good product though Fantastic seems to have suffered a "cost improvement" decline after it was sold to Dometic
Clarification from the quote above, silicone grease or silicone spray lubricant, but NOT silicone sealant.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
Wentpostal

M.O.C. #27632
How did you measure? There is a curve in the roof, I had to measure the curve inside and just add to the edge while hitched up. We are about 13’4” also. That’s cutting it Nighty close to the legal limit
Wentpostal is offline   Reply With Quote