Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
High Point microwave oven

Our 2019 3121RL with legacy package has a High Pointe microwave oven that has apparently died. For a few weeks it would pop the breaker. That happened more frequently as time passed. After resetting the breaker it would work fine. Last night the breaker wouldn’t reset the microwave so I replaced the breaker today. Still no microwave oven. Outlet it is plugged into has 115 volts so everything checks out. But the oven itself. Of course we are almost as far west as we are going this year (Whidbey Island WA) and we are as far from home as we can be!

Any ideas or suggestions? We are not the original owner. Is this something that Keystone would stand behind? Yeah LOL…..

Thanks in advance.
Byron B.

Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
My High Pointe Microwave quit. Suspected fuse. Found a couple of YouTube videos showing how to remove the top front cover and replace the fuse. Take a butter knife and run it under the top edge. Apparently where the 2 screws go down from the top, there is some metal burrs that protrude through the screw holes into the plastic tab that cause it to hang on. Run the butter knife under the screw holes releases the top front cover. PULL HARD straight towards you.

Microwave door switches
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mont...8402346674091/
Amazon: KW3A need 1 (comes with 2 switches in the kit), KW3AT-16 need 1
Black upper switch P/N KW3AT-16 normally open.
Grey upper switch P/N KW3A normally closed
Grey lower switch P/N KW3A normally open
Pay attention to which one goes where.
Eventually I replaced the HighPointe with a Whirlpool WMH31017HZ04
Microwave only. We never used the convection oven.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We replaced our original microwave/convection oven with a Samsung from BestBuy. Works better and has a larger oven space and more power.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
My High Pointe Microwave quit. Suspected fuse. Found a couple of YouTube videos showing how to remove the top front cover and replace the fuse. Take a butter knife and run it under the top edge. Apparently where the 2 screws go down from the top, there is some metal burrs that protrude through the screw holes into the plastic tab that cause it to hang on. Run the butter knife under the screw holes releases the top front cover. PULL HARD straight towards you.

Microwave door switches
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mont...8402346674091/
Amazon: KW3A need 1 (comes with 2 switches in the kit), KW3AT-16 need 1
Black upper switch P/N KW3AT-16 normally open.
Grey upper switch P/N KW3A normally closed
Grey lower switch P/N KW3A normally open
Pay attention to which one goes where.
Eventually I replaced the HighPointe with a Whirlpool WMH31017HZ04
Microwave only. We never used the convection oven.
Daryl, you da man!!! Did what you suggested and found the 20 amp fuse was blown. I will try to find one on the road tomorrow. Only problem now is what made the fuse blow…..
Old 08-31-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We replaced our original microwave/convection oven with a Samsung from BestBuy. Works better and has a larger oven space and more power.
Bob, was the replacement pretty close in dimension?

BB
Old 09-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Well, I replaced the fuse, twice now. First time I accidentally hit something while reassembling and it popped. Second time was after I had full 115 volt service and plugged in…
Any other suggestions that do not include replacing entire unit? Power board, etc?
I normally don’t mind tearing into something I know little about but my back is not as good as it used to be so I am not looking forward to removing and replacing the microwave.
Once again, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

BB
Old 09-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
When I swapped mine out I used leveling blocks on the cooktop to ease the MW down on to before lifting it out of the way. As you loosen the screws mounting it to the bottom of the shelf it will settle down on the blocks.
Find a neighbor kid to help.
The fun part is fitting the new one. Putting it in and out a few times making sure the vent in the back fits. I had to cut the vent opening a bit and remove the top row of backsplash tiles to make it fit.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Daryl, thanks again, Sir!
Old 09-11-2021, 06:48 AM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
What causes the fuse to blow is a safety interlock with the door switches to prevent the microwave from operating with the door open.
Try changing the door switches (parts listed above, not hard).
If you want to delay the inevitable,
Turn off the microwave circuit breaker each time before you open the door. After you put your food in the microwave, close the door, turn on the breaker and run the microwave. When it's done, again turn off the breaker before you open the door.
It's a pain but it works.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #10
Greg n Tracy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24154
It is most likely that the door switches have gotten out of sync. With mine, the switches were a bit loose in their seats, causing them to get out of sync, not making contact at the same time, which for reasons above my pay grade, invokes some safety feature and causes the fuse to blow. I just got the switches into place, wedged a tooth pick to stop the swimming in the seats, and all has been fine since, over a year.

if i could figure out how to attach a picture to this reply, I would, but again, above my pay grade. Maybe the administrators could dumb it down for me?
Greg n Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Pretty much Junk

Save yourself some time and aggravation and take it out, throw away, and get another unit from anyplace you like. Skip the convection too. I removed ours, installed a shelf, put in a power strip, and bought a toaster over. Best move I’ve made in awhile. Adding the power strip gives you options for other appliances, and we plugged our new ( much smaller ) micro into the wall outlet behind the couch. Never use the outlet anyway ( way too un- handy) and it helps balance the electrical load. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I've spent years as a service guy working on microwaves. What others said. Get a new unit. They are cheap today. It does not have to be a door switch issue, which would be the lowest cost fix. There are many other things that could be wrong - a slight short in the big capacitor or magnetron. Not worth spending the time and parts on. You would need to get it on the table uncovered to really check it out. Plus have the knowledge to do so in a safe manner. Like Bob and Rsmarlow82 said... replace the unit.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
We also had this issue. After replacing the fuse only to have it fail again within a day or two, I ended up replacing the unit with a Whirlpool WMH78019HZ we got from Lowes. It's a much better unit and installation replacing the High Pointe wasn't too difficult.

The best part of this was that when I went back to my dealer for the 1-year service, I told them about this and they were able to get Keystone to reimburse me for the replacement. If you're still within the warranty period, you might look into this. (Much better than getting another High Pointe which will likely have the same issue.)

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #14
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Excellent choice
Old 09-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #15
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks for all of the help and information. Our summer trip, so far over 10k miles, is ending October 2.
Being a somewhat lazy person, I think I will foregoing any more attempts at repair and replace this cheap POS when we get home.

Hope all are happy, healthy and safe!

BB
Old 09-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
Bob, was the replacement pretty close in dimension?

BB

The new unit was the same size as the original microwave/convection oven. The new one comes with the vent positioned out the top, but the instructions show how to change it to go out the back. Unfortunately, the vent location going out the back wall was not positioned exactly perfect where the original unit's exhaust came out, but even not being exact was still close enough, so the exhaust of the new unit had the exact same location, so I just didn't worry about it, and it works just fine. I had to make new holes in the cabinet above the microwave to fit the new screw locations, but the paper template worked well to locate the new holes. If you buy from BestBuy, they might do the install for you. They did not do ours due to the Covid restrictions at the time. The new Samsung model that I used is ME19R7041FB, which is the black model, but I think there was also a stainless finish option too.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
ingalmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21665
eTrailer on-line has direct replacement for the High Pointe. It’s brand name is Furrion and is identical. However they also have an LG that would work for you.

Mike & Anita
2017 3921FB, MoRyde LRE4100, Xfactor, Pin Box, Titan Disc Brakes
2016 RAM 3500 DRW, Cummins
ingalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #18
Bozwell
Established Member

M.O.C. #23666
Dead HighPointe Micro

We have a 2019 3721RL legacy. High Pointe Micro died after 6 months. We threw it out and got a GE profile. Its bigger and better in every way. Had an appliance company put it in. We full time and appliances that work are important. Keystone wanted us to send the broken high pointe back to them or bring our rig to the nearest keystone dealer... 250 miles away. We just opted to upgrade. No regrets
Bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #19
Howard and Kathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23077
i had the same microwave in my trailer and was so frustrated with it i pulled it out and threw it away. A week later i saw a thread that these microwaves have a short in the door switch and if you replace it will stop the tripping. Also inside the microwave there is an in line fuse that could have tripped causing the microwave to completely stop working. Have you test the plug to see if you have power after you unplug the microwave.
Howard and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #20
Rwalker52

M.O.C. #30063
NIB high pointe OTR microwave

I had to replace the broken microwave/convection oven in out 2019 Montana. They ended up sending us 2 units. I am selling one, new in the box, for $300 which includes shipping.
The replacement model is EC942K6BE
The dementions are 16x30x15.5

Contact me at (941) 737-3657
Rmw6622@gmail.com
Rwalker52 is offline   Reply With Quote