Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
RV skirting adhesive questions

Hi y'all! This isn't a Montana specific question but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here. I have skirting for my Montana that we installed last year and it did great to keep us warm throughout the winter. It's all packed away now. Now that we're in the summer heat, the Velcro tape that remained on the camper has peeled away in quite a few spots. It's fairly generic two inch hook side tape. I was looking to glue it back on but was wondering if it might be better to just put new tape on? The bits that are still stuck on are pretty solid and my worry is pulling off the decals or finish. Any thoughts or experience in this is welcome! Thanks!

Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The best home made skirting g I've seen.

Bead/channel skirting by Cody James.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/706610...66488296858418

He Used awning C Chanel all around the rig and then sewed rope onto 18oz vinyl coated polyester material. Skirting slides into the Chanel, used outdoor Velcro on the vertical parts.

https://rvstoredirect.com/collection...ack-16-1650802
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Best homemade skirting.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9811  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Andy-- I don't know why you couldn't just add pieces of the "outdoor" Velcro to the missing spaces and leave the Velcro that is solidly stuck to the unit alone. It may look a little different but it will still do the same job and hopefully stay on the unit better than the previous stuff. I'm sure if you contacted the company that makes the Velcro you are using they might have a solution to your problem also. I myself would not try to take that Velco off that is solid yet since I would also be concerned about the peeling of the decals or damaging the finish if trying to remove them. Good luck and let us know what you come up with as a final decision.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm liking the idea of patching the missing spots with new Velcro. I hadn't thought about reaching out to the company but I may do so now. I tried a few types of glue before and it never set fast enough.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Try snaps. Loveyourrv.com has a you tube channel he installed skirting using snaps and looked nice and he gave a good tutorial on the install. Just another idea.
Katherine1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
The best home made skirting g I've seen.

Bead/channel skirting by Cody James.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/706610...66488296858418

He Used awning C Chanel all around the rig and then sewed rope onto 18oz vinyl coated polyester material. Skirting slides into the Chanel, used outdoor Velcro on the vertical parts.

https://rvstoredirect.com/collection...ack-16-1650802

I was considering doing the same thing, using an awning channel and Keder strips...

I actually am thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the skirting, though. It seems to me there is little extra insulation value of the vinyl skirting, so why mount it so high? Why not mount it on the bottom of the skirting, just past the curve?

What does everything think of that? Good idea or not, and if not why not?

Thanks!
Brad