Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
seadiverjoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #26835
Seadiverjoe

We purchased a 2020 3121 RL 6 weeks ago. We had very little instructions on batteries/inverters etc. How long should the new batteries last when not hooked to shore power? We have a residential ref and feel that when overnight boo docking the batteries should last longer that 2 hours. What are we doing wrong?
Should the inverter be turned off when on shore power and back on when traveling and overnighting?

TIA.

seadiverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
So sorry that you have a residential fridge. They aren’t really the right fridge for boondocking. What you should do is get a larger bank of batteries, maybe at least four 6 volt golf cart batteries that should give you enough juice to carry you overnight. You also should have a generator to be able to fully recharge them during the day right up until you turn off things at night.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Simple answer IMO? Residential fridges and boondocking are like oil and water unless you want to spend thousands for support systems for that fridge. That is a known requirement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
seadiverjoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #26835
Thank you all. I guess we just run the generator when not traveling. Good thing it’s quiet. Thank you again
seadiverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
traviswayne

M.O.C. #25045
To answer your question, when we overnight in a parking lot/rest area, we make it till the next morning on the 2 built in batteries, IF we don't run the heater too much (if it's not too cold). If it's fairly cold, i'll set out the genny.

We boondocked near wolf creek pass and silver jack res. in Colo this past july.
2018 365 BH w/res fridge.

in addition to the 2 - 100 amp hour batteries in the 5er, I built a sort of external power bank: 4 100 amp hour batteries (free to me) in an external box in the pickup bed, with a 3000 watt inverter ($369), 80 amp Prog. dynmics converter/charger ($269). and we have a 3600 watt gas/prop genny to recharge the batteries a couple times a day. I'd say we recharged maybe a total of 3 hours a day?

I plugged into this set up just as with shore power, but turned off the inboard charger when not on the genny.

This set up worked well for the two weeks in 45-80 degree temps.

We were above 9000' most of the trip so we never turned on AC
Ran Coffee maker, Microwave, TV's, dish etc as we would have if on true shore power.

hth

travis
traviswayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, inverter