Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Firewood Haulage Restrictions????

I found out today that we are allowed to have campfires at Topsail in Destin, FL (Yayyy! hotdogs and marshmallows), and also learned that there were no restrictions that they know of for bringing in firewood from out-of-state. I know that Michigan, Ohio and a couple of others have restricted firewood from other states and even other counties because of the Emerald Ash Borer and can issue a $500 fine. Our trip south will take us through Virginia, North and South Carolina and Georgia. Does anybody know of any restrictions for hauling firewood in those states. I have looked on-line and have been unable to find anything. Thanks,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
And what about Arizona?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yep, we are quaranteened. Even nursery stock is!

I think I found stuff on it before by typing in Emerald Ash Borer in Google, OR

go to the DNR site for each state you will travel through, and see if you can find something there??

Bet ya done those already, eh???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Missouri has a full quarantine on firewood. You won't be stopped and checked but I believe that the best practice is to buy wood locally and then leave what you don't use for the next guest. The only time I carry wood is when camping in my home state. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Just an fyi, our two visits in 2006 and 2007, Top Sail does not have fire rings and we had to bring our own as we were told the fire must be elevated, not on the ground.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
bw2,
You are correct, they did state a fire bowl was needed. We have one we carry in the basement at all times luckily. Carol, I did try those for each state and couldn't find anything. I hate to buy wood when I get all I need free for the cutting at work, will have to think this over and do more research. I guess I can resort to calling the various offices before departing unless anyone can provide additional info.
Bingo
Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bingo

Did you look at this?

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/pubs...-FACTSHEET.pdf

This one is Ontario, but still interesting:

http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/emerald_ash.html

There is a link for Minnesota, but it is rather long, and I don't remember how to bury the URL in code here on the forum,soooooo

here is what I did, Google.com search emerald ash borer restrictions, here is the URL (for the first page) with the results I got:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...r+restrictions

OOOO, here look at this page, I know this URL is tooooooooo long, EDIT: Thank you to DONnANNIE who sent me the tinyurl for this site, I forgot bout that neat trick! Thanks, works like a dream!

http://tinyurl.com/29u8zm

Basically that last page lists the quarateened ares as:

"The following areas are designated as quarantined areas:

Illinois

The entire State.

Indiana

The entire State.

Maryland

Prince George's County . The entire county.

Michigan (there was 2 large paragraphs here specifically laying out the counties, etc, I deleted, you can find them at that URL)

Ohio

The entire State."

There are a BUNCH of pages, what I am seeing is that Maryland is the closest trouble spot to you Bingo.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks a bunch Carol.
Bingo