Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Grey Tank Odors Inside

Having issues with smells inside the camper from grey tank, I believe, not ruling out black tank. We never had issues with the first 9 days staying in. Took another trip and started having issues with getting the smell while showering. With roof vent fan running smell was terrible. This trip first two nights no issue. Third night now we get the smell in the kitchen area. We treat the black and grey tank with chemicals as out lined. I have had it back to the dealer and not help hear. I will add when I remove the drain cap to hook up drain hose I will have 1 to 2 quarts of liquid run out. I feel this is coming from one of the grey tanks. I was told by the dealer this is normal. I feel I have a tank that isn't shutting all the way. I would like to add I had a Keystone Bullet for 8 years and never had issues like this. I did check the Utopia Uniguard Drain valve for the shower and it is working as intended. We always keep water in the toilet bowl to ensure no issues with smell coming around seals.

Looking for help to solve the issue

67 Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I put Black Tank Treatment in Gray Tanks, helps deodorize tanks
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
First, there shouldn't be so much fluid coming out of the sewer line when you open it. That is a valve not closing completely.

A cracked holding tank can cause smells to enter the trailer. Knowing what you have would help diagnose the problem. Do you know if fluid is building up in the underbelly?
Old 09-16-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The liquid you have running out when you pull your sewer cap is common, but I would not say normal. Most have added a twist on Valterra valve to the end of that pipe to prevent that leak. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...efix=valterra+
As to the smell, if it is coming from the grey tank(s), try treating them with Unique Tank Cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741QNNZB...ix=unique+tank
This stuff is amazing. I thought my black tank was very clean before using this. Boy was I wrong!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
The liquid you have running out when you pull your sewer cap is common, but I would not say normal. Most have added a twist on Valterra valve to the end of that pipe to prevent that leak. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...efix=valterra+
As to the smell, if it is coming from the grey tank(s), try treating them with Unique Tank Cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741QNNZB...ix=unique+tank
This stuff is amazing. I thought my black tank was very clean before using this. Boy was I wrong!

Thanks for the feed back. Will give the cleaner a try.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
First, there shouldn't be so much fluid coming out of the sewer line when you open it. That is a valve not closing completely.

A cracked holding tank can cause smells to enter the trailer. Knowing what you have would help diagnose the problem. Do you know if fluid is building up in the underbelly?
I haven't seen any thing draining out from underbelly. I haven't taken any of the covers off the bottom to look yet. I have went in through the storage area and looked to see what I could. Of course can't see the underbelly. I made some changes last night. I had the drain hose hooked into the dump tank at camp site. I disconnected drain hose from dump tank and this seems to have stopped smell coming into kitchen
Old 09-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Shovel View Post
I haven't seen any thing draining out from underbelly. I haven't taken any of the covers off the bottom to look yet. I have went in through the storage area and looked to see what I could. Of course can't see the underbelly. I made some changes last night. I had the drain hose hooked into the dump tank at camp site. I disconnected drain hose from dump tank and this seems to have stopped smell coming into kitchen
I did want to add I don't have the tanks set up to continually drain. Tank valves are shut until tanks need draining
Old 09-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
You should be able to use the trailer, sewer hose connected or not, without getting smells inside. Everything vents to the outside.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you do all of the above look under the sinks in both areas and see if they haven't put an inline vent on the drain line instead of running a vent thru the roof. Islands for sure have them and so do some bathroom sinks. They look like a plastic can on the end of a drain line. They are spring loaded to let air into the line and can (particularly the cheap ones) become stuck open in which case they can vent air directly from the tank into the under sink area.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
To follow up on DQDick's post this is similar to what you will be looking for:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oatey-39...3e042c9e6e1323
Our 300RK had one next to the kitchen sink hidden in the wall enclosing the refrigerator. They are great when they work but if and when they stick open you will get the odors.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:36 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just another thought...If your dump valves are not closing completely or the seals do not seal properly, you can try to condition the seals. Sometimes they dry out when the rig is in storage. I've used the Thetford Seal Conditioner. It seems to help.
https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toil...s%2C173&sr=8-2
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #12
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #13
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you do all of the above look under the sinks in both areas and see if they haven't put an inline vent on the drain line instead of running a vent thru the roof. Islands for sure have them and so do some bathroom sinks. They look like a plastic can on the end of a drain line. They are spring loaded to let air into the line and can (particularly the cheap ones) become stuck open in which case they can vent air directly from the tank into the under sink area.
Thanks for that. I have one on the kitchen sink under island. I will replace it to be on safe side
Old 09-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #14
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
I have had the sewer hose disconnected for two days. Haven’t had any is with smell. This makes me think issue is from, possibly including, tank valves to outlet cap. Am I on the right track?
Old 09-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Hook the hose back up and see what happens. I still don't think it's sewer hose related.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:45 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
It is possible if your sewer hose was connected to the park system AND your valve is not closing all the way, that sewer gases could come up through your sewer hose into the coach. I usually try to form a "P" trap in the sewer hose if I leave it connected to prevent that.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:27 AM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Have you drained the washer/dryer hose bibs? Water stagnates in there and will cause that issue.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Shovel View Post
I have had the sewer hose disconnected for two days. Haven’t had any is with smell. This makes me think issue is from, possibly including, tank valves to outlet cap. Am I on the right track?
When the sewer hose is connected do you have a dip in the line to produce a water seal?
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #19
bwandrack

M.O.C. #26313
Good morning,

We were having a similar issue with our 2020 3791RD. We were getting terrible smells in the coach if we had the kitchen sink full to wash dishes and then let it all drain at once. The odd part was that the smells were mostly coming from the cabinets under the coffee bar area and the pantry. I checked all of the usual suspects and everything seemed fine. I finally went into the basement and took off the panels to see what might be happening in there. I found that the vent pipe for the galley gray tank came up from the tank and then had a couple of 45 degree couplers to shift it over to line up with the pipe going to the roof. The 2 didn't quite line up and were never actually connected. It looks like someone tried to get them connected but it must have been a Friday afternoon so they decided to leave it and let the dealership handle it as warranty work.

Of course, this pipe is as far back into that space as I could reach, making it very difficult to work on. I finally reached in with an oscillating saw and cut off the 2 45 degree fittings and then connected the 2 sections of pipe with a piece of flexible radiator hose and some hose clamps. Problem solved, but what a pain in the butt.

I will say, that while this is a prime example of shoddy work from that factory, in a year and a half of ownership this is the only "major" issue that we've had. There have been a few of the typical little things you always find in a new RV, but nothing worth really complaining about until this.

Hope this isn't your issue as well, but it might be worth taking a look.

Have a great day,

Bill
2012 RAM 3500 Longhorn DRW HO 6.7 / Aisin 6 speed
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
67 Shovel
Established Member

M.O.C. #29333
Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their input. For the time being we were able to get the smell to stop. Did clean up the air valve vent under the kitchen sink. Did hook up the sewer hose to campground dump and no smell. Not sure what worked or didn't. Continued to hook up each night on our travel home. Will see what happens on our trip in October.

Thanks again for every ones input. Good information