Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
The McCoys
Established Member

M.O.C. #26007
Roof membrane issue

Hello all, I hope everyone had a great summer. I have a question regarding the PVC roof membrane on my 2019 high country 330RL 5th wheel. I went up to do maintenance, and noticed that sections of the membrane are bubbling up. I tried to take a photo of it, but It was tough to get the bubbles to show up. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do about it? I’m going to call Camping World in Chichester, NH where I bought it, tomorrow. I’m hoping they will make it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C09DBDAB-A9B1-40AE-BE88-0C94ADF5CB75.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	10174  
The McCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have a couple of bubbles on my roof. I think I will get a big fat hypodermic needle and syringe at my local farm supply store and fill it with Alpha Self leveling sealant, then inject it all around under the bubble. Then press it down, put a flat board on it and some weights. Leave it overnight. Then remove the board and put a dab of Alpha self leveling sealant over the injection hole.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
CDrevant

M.O.C. #28126
Roof membrane bubbles

We noticed a large number of bubbles in our roof membrane and we are currently working on getting it fixed under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4A350979-2A09-453A-BA43-A6F514B53B38.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	10186  
CDrevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by The McCoys View Post
Hello all, I hope everyone had a great summer. I have a question regarding the PVC roof membrane on my 2019 high country 330RL 5th wheel. I went up to do maintenance, and noticed that sections of the membrane are bubbling up. I tried to take a photo of it, but It was tough to get the bubbles to show up. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do about it? I’m going to call Camping World in Chichester, NH where I bought it, tomorrow. I’m hoping they will make it right.
Roof maintenance is 3 month cycles. If you haven't performed the maintenance then no warranty. That is likely a TPO roof, so any bubbles are water damage underneath that thin covering and is serious. If it's EPDM then it's not unusual and doesn't really need attention other than maybe using a heavy roller to flatten it.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Roof maintenance is 3 month cycles. If you haven't performed the maintenance then no warranty. That is likely a TPO roof, so any bubbles are water damage underneath that thin covering and is serious. If it's EPDM then it's not unusual and doesn't really need attention other than maybe using a heavy roller to flatten it.
Bubbles are common under tpo and epdm. A few small bubbles are not a sign of water damage underneath. The glue for both is rolled on then the roof membrane placed on top with air being pulled out to the side like a cell phone screen projector. Sometimes some air remains. It happens.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The images of both roof coverings posted are not an issue... You will chase this till the cows come home.. its caused by outgassing and temp changes...

If you look at the bubbles in the middle of the day and then look at them in the morning before sun has heated up the roof you will notice they change...

My roof is eight years old... it has bubbles and they move around and change size and shape..

As long as there are NO voids in the sealant .. especially at the front cap to roof membrane junction metal strip its fine...

Any voids in the sealant in that area will allow air to get in underneath while towing and it will cause the roof membrane to lift and tear... not to mention allowing water to leak in under the membrane and rot things...

two images of my roof membrane.. first taken during the heat of the day and second in the morning before suns heats it up....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roof1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	10259   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	10260  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The images of both roof coverings posted are not an issue... You will chase this till the cows come home.. its caused by outgassing and temp changes...

If you look at the bubbles in the middle of the day and then look at them in the morning before sun has heated up the roof you will notice they change...

My roof is eight years old... it has bubbles and they move around and change size and shape..

As long as there are NO voids in the sealant .. especially at the front cap to roof membrane junction metal strip its fine...

Any voids in the sealant in that area will allow air to get in underneath while towing and it will cause the roof membrane to lift and tear... not to mention allowing water to leak in under the membrane and rot things...

two images of my roof membrane.. first taken during the heat of the day and second in the morning before suns heats it up....
Thanks Chuck, always good info from you.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
The McCoys
Established Member

M.O.C. #26007
Thank you for the input. I’ll try not to worry about it so much.
The McCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Those bubbles would bother me, but they're no worse than I've seen in the past. I'll almost guarantee the dealership, in conjunction with the mfgr., will tell you its normal.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #10
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
It's normal actually. Especially on slide roofs.
B&W Companion hitch
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote